Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nanoleaf today announced the addition of Thread Border Router technology to the Nanoleaf Shapes and Elements Controllers, with the functionality available through a firmware update in the Nanoleaf app.

nanoleaf-elements-main.jpg

With the Nanoleaf Border Router, Nanoleaf Essentials devices will be able to connect to the Thread network automatically when the Shapes or Elements Controller is connected to WiFi.

Nanoleaf is also partnering with Eero for similar capabilities. The Eero Pro, Eero Beacon, Eero Pro 6, and Eero 6 will function as Border Routers with the Nanoleaf Essentials line. Eero will expand compatibility with other products in the future.

Nanoleaf is one of the first companies bringing Thread Border Routers to the HomeKit network, making Thread technology available to other Thread-based smart home devices.

Thread technology is designed to improve the smart home networking and usage experience. Thread is a networking protocol designed for smart home products, and it offers improved connectivity, reliability, and range compared to the single connection points of Bluetooth and WiFi. Border Router technology connects a Thread network to another network like WiFi and is essential for the Thread system.

With Thread Border Router functionality built into the Nanoleaf Shapes Controller, Elements Controller, and Eero routers, there is no need for an extra hub because these devices serve as a bridge to connect the WiFi network and the Thread network together.

Article Link: Nanoleaf Adds Thread Border Router Support to Shapes and Elements in Latest Update

performa_6400

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2020
So trying to understand thread.. Is it essentially a separate network that allows smart home devices to talk directly to each other without pinging services like Homekit?

Last edited:

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
If they're making it Thread compatible, doesn't this mean you can use a Homepod Mini as a hub for it too? Why isn't there any mention of that at a site like Macrumors?

topdrawer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
i don't understand that stair banister. the rest of the house looks modern. did they run out of money during the remodel? that would explain why they would buy that lighting product instead of real art.

edit: the scale of everything in that image seems really off. either the stairs are too big or the furniture is too small. judging by the stairs, that console would only be knee high or the banisters as tall as a person. this is all kinds of messed up

Reactions: attila

PlasmStudios

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2013
New York City, New York
So trying to understand thread.. Is it essentially a separate network that allows smart home devices to talk directly to each other without pinging services like Homekit?

Essentially yes. It's a self-healing network that doesn't rely on only one main node (i.e. a Wifi router for example). So the more nodes the stronger/better the network as compared to Wifi that only gets slower with increasing devices. Eve has a great explainer page: https://www.evehome.com/en-us/thread

mjharwaz

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2017
Tucson, AZ
Same design like the BeoSound Shape

It does look very similar. I wonder if they'll face any legal trouble. Though, the non-wood Hexagons have been available for a bit already and those just seemed like a natural evolution from their previous shapes, so maybe not.

It's Hexagons. No one has a copyright on basic shapes lmao.

Not only that, but one is a speaker and the other is a light… Not even in the same product category.

Reactions: PlasmStudios

japanime

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
i don't understand that stair banister. the rest of the house looks modern. did they run out of money during the remodel? that would explain why they would buy that lighting product instead of real art.

edit: the scale of everything in that image seems really off. either the stairs are too big or the furniture is too small. judging by the stairs, that console would only be knee high or the banisters as tall as a person. this is all kinds of messed up
It could be a gently renovated home from the 1960s. (But more likely, a CG model.)

hortod1

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2009
I see articles (ads?) for this on MR about once a month… yet have never seen one in the wild. Who are the targeted buyers?

Rychiar

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
It does look very similar. I wonder if they'll face any legal trouble. Though, the non-wood Hexagons have been available for a bit already and those just seemed like a natural evolution from their previous shapes, so maybe not.
I’ve never even heard of that beosound thing. Nanoleaf has been around forever

Rychiar

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
Essentially yes. It's a self-healing network that doesn't rely on only one main node (i.e. a Wifi router for example). So the more nodes the stronger/better the network as compared to Wifi that only gets slower with increasing devices. Eve has a great explainer page: https://www.evehome.com/en-us/thread
I love how fast my thread devices are but if the power goes out or the network gets reset it takes forever to get the thread stuff back up and running right compared to the wifi stuff. That kinda disappointed me since I really thought thread would kill any no response homekit issues completely. I have 5 HomePod minis around the house and having more actually makes things works rather than better I think as well

Der Keyser

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2016
I’ve never even heard of that beosound thing. Nanoleaf has been around forever

You need to check your facts mate. Bang & Olufsen - a danish company - has been around since 1925, and has been a pioneer in top notch designer Audio products for a century now. Don’t quite think Nanoleaf makes that cut - but what they obviously do make, is the long list of quick and respectless companies that copies what B&O designs.

Reactions: macplay
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.