Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Smart home accessory maker Nanoleaf today announced the upcoming launch of new products that are compatible with Matter, a smart home standard that Apple began supporting with the launch of iOS 16.1. Matter is designed to allow for interoperability between smart home devices from different manufacturers.

nanoleaf-matter.jpg

Nanoleaf is debuting Matter-equipped A19, GU10, and BR30 light bulbs, as well as a Lightstrip, with all of the products part of the company's Essentials line. The bulbs and the lightstrip offer more than 16 million color options as well as tunable whites with color temperatures ranging from 2700-6500K.

The new Essentials devices are able to play color-changing lighting scenes that can be customized with the Nanoleaf app. With Matter integration, the Essentials products are compatible with HomeKit and other smart home platforms like Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa.

Matter-compatible Essentials Smart Bulbs and Lightstrips are set to launch in early 2023 and will be priced from $20 to $100. Nanoleaf plans to introduce additional Matter-compatible products at CES in January.

Article Link: Nanoleaf Announces New Matter-Compatible Smart Bulbs and Lightstrips

Reactions: zapmymac

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina
I wish all the things that said they were Homekit compatible were actually Homekit compatible. Lots of things work for awhile, or work until the next network outage then don’t, or work until the next router update then don’t, or never worked to begin with despite advertising HK compatibility (I’m looking at you Rachio3 irrigation controller). And most of my device manufacturers say all that is necessary for a “No Response” device is to power them down (unplug them) and restore power (plug them back in after a few seconds). Sure, that usually works. But the point of smartplugs at least is to not have to do that. Mine are behind furniture or other inaccessible places; that’s the point of using them. Very frustrating. And a whole lot harder with wall switches.

I’ve ordered a couple of Nanoleaf LED bulbs for wall sconces that do not have a switch to control them. Should arrive today. We’ll see what new agony they bring to the table.

I really miss the X-10 devices of the ‘70’s and ‘80’s. They were reliable for me and the power lines were the network.

Last edited:

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I dunno, do we think any of this will really... matter??

(I'm sorry, I'll show myself out)

Especially when you look at the price of this stuff. Wow!!

But 'Matter'?

For some reason I think of that gunk that accumulates on the inside of the eyelids next to the nose. It's gross, and who knows what's in it, but I really don't want to know. Yuck... 'Matter'? 'Meta'? Let's call the whole thing off...

But I was waiting to see a great play on that absurd name. FTW!!

Reactions: SalisburySam

tubular

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2011
Oddly enough this comes just as I'm wrestling with some Nanoleaf lights. A few months back my cable company replaced my modem, and although I didn't know it at the time, they've locked me out of the 2.4 GHz bandwidth Nanoleaf needs for configuration. As in, going into the modem's configuration app doesn't even offer a choice of bandwidth -- thou shalt run 5 GHz. The Nanoleaf shapes can *run* on 5GHz, apparently, but they need 2.4 GHz to *configure.* And it seems that there was something about the newest collection of iOS and HomePod updates that my lights found indigestible, knocking them out. And so only now, months after the new modem, am I finding I can't reconnect the shapes.

It looks like the cheapest solution is to buy a cheap 2.4GHz wireless router and add it to my system. Which is kinda ridiculous to have to do.

Nanoleaf -- I really like your stuff, when I can use it. Please support configuring on 5GHz.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

BrownyQ

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2021
USA
Forgive my ignorance on this one, but does this mean that gaining Matter support is not possible via an update for existing light bulbs?

I don't have nearly enough smart home stuff right now that it's a problem (only own two of these light bulbs), but if that's the case, then patience on future purchases, and ensuring they are Matter compatible out of the box, would be the course of action.

Jupeman

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
I have found my Matter Nanoleaf bulbs to be perfectly reliable compared to my Lifx bulbs. The BR30 announcement is great news if they continue to work well....

Reactions: zapmymac
Oct 17, 2022
I've got a bunch of their A19 bulbs and love them. They work great with Thread and the HomePod mini. Went with them because they have wifi and don't require a separate hub, as many do. Super quick response with Siri and HomeKit. They support circadian lighting too. Been very happy with them. Not sure I'd upgrade here, as I don't see Matter providing much benefit over my current setup, but as I add new lights, I'll certainly go that route.

wallaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Iowa
I wish all the things that said they were Homekit compatible were actually Homekit compatible. Lots of things work for awhile, or work until the next network outage then don’t, or work until the next router update then don’t, or never worked to begin with despite advertising HK compatibility (I’m looking at you Rachio3 irrigation controller). And most of my device manufacturers say all that is necessary for a “No Response” device is to power them down (unplug them) and restore power (plug them back in after a few seconds). Sure, that usually works. But the point of smartplugs at least is to not have to do that. Mine are behind furniture or other inaccessible places; that’s the point of using them. Very frustrating. And a whole lot harder with wall switches.

I’ve ordered a couple of Nanoleaf LED bulbs for wall sconces that do not have a switch to control them. Should arrive today. We’ll see what new agony they bring to the table.
I’m relieved to hear I’m not the only one who has these issues with NanoLeaf bulbs! The recent firmware update fixed the issues I was having with unreachable bulbs, but for how long…

the.burn

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2018
Germany
Forgive my ignorance on this one, but does this mean that gaining Matter support is not possible via an update for existing light bulbs?

I don't have nearly enough smart home stuff right now that it's a problem (only own two of these light bulbs), but if that's the case, then patience on future purchases, and ensuring they are Matter compatible out of the box, would be the course of action.
Correct, the current ones have Threat but are not updateable to Matter.
This annoys me very hard, as I bought them, thinking of being perfectly up to date…

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina
Correct, the current ones have Threat but are not updateable to Matter.
This annoys me very hard, as I bought them, thinking of being perfectly up to date…
Yeah, I’ve gone from my iHome devices which seems incompatible with anything, to WeMo Thread devices which seem marginally better, to now Matter devices. I hope it matters.

tubular

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2011
I have found my Matter Nanoleaf bulbs to be perfectly reliable compared to my Lifx bulbs. The BR30 announcement is great news if they continue to work well....
I've got the bulbs, and they're nice and happy. It's just the shapes that are giving me fits. Why on earth are these things locked out of the 5GHz range in 2022?

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Oddly enough this comes just as I'm wrestling with some Nanoleaf lights. A few months back my cable company replaced my modem, and although I didn't know it at the time, they've locked me out of the 2.4 GHz bandwidth Nanoleaf needs for configuration. As in, going into the modem's configuration app doesn't even offer a choice of bandwidth -- thou shalt run 5 GHz. The Nanoleaf shapes can *run* on 5GHz, apparently, but they need 2.4 GHz to *configure.* And it seems that there was something about the newest collection of iOS and HomePod updates that my lights found indigestible, knocking them out. And so only now, months after the new modem, am I finding I can't reconnect the shapes.

It looks like the cheapest solution is to buy a cheap 2.4GHz wireless router and add it to my system. Which is kinda ridiculous to have to do.

Nanoleaf -- I really like your stuff, when I can use it. Please support configuring on 5GHz.

That one thing has been a deal killer for me on a few purchases. And has been a PITA for some I already have. Good gried, it's been a thing for how long? And yet 'cheap' companies are still requiring we use it? *BAH*

UnseenLlama

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
I've got the bulbs, and they're nice and happy. It's just the shapes that are giving me fits. Why on earth are these things locked out of the 5GHz range in 2022?

Minor point, the existing bulbs are Thread based, and Nanoleaf has not indicated if they will be updated to support Matter. That's why they released these new products which is a punch to the gut for those who already had purchased the older ones.

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
I used to have a Universal Devices ISY994i and run Insteon and Z-Wave. Last year upgraded to their Polisy product. They announced last month matter compatible boards named "ZMatter", which does both Z-Wave (better support than previous Zooz dongle) and Matter (Thread). They are shipping this month. The Polisy is no longer available, but they have a new product coming out named "EISY". Looking forward to having more device options while maintaining integration with existing equipment.

tubular

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2011
I bought a HomePod mini for its Thread support, and I get quick response from my Nanoleaf bulbs -- but if they ever need reconfiguration, I'm worried that I'd get stuck at the same locked-out problem I'm having with my shapes. About $400 worth of shapes currently (and instantly) unusable.

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
I called this months ago that "all new" with Matter instead of upgrading the existing product line.

I won't be buying any new bulbs or Lightstrips - what I have works fine.

If Eve could do a firmware, so could Nanoleaf — this is just a lame attempt to sell "all new" when it's really not.

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
I called this months ago that "all new" with Matter instead of upgrading the existing product line.

I won't be buying any new bulbs or Lightstrips - what I have works fine.

If Eve could do a firmware, so could Nanoleaf — this is just a lame attempt to sell "all new" when it's really not.
They explain it here it was due to chip sizes and matter grew more than they had anticipated... whether you choose to believe them or not. I don't really buy their excuse that it was to keep prices low because they probably only saved a few dollars by going with smaller chips... more likely so a bean counter decision to keep their profits high.

2. If Nanoleaf promised future-proof products, why can’t the current Essentials Bulbs and Lightstrips upgrade to Matter?

The current Essentials were built to focus on Thread, with its lightning speeds and next-level connectivity.
Creating them early in Matter’s development meant we had to estimate where Matter would go, and try to prepare our products to accommodate it.
To keep prices as low as possible for our customers, we selected the chip size predicted to be more than sufficient for Matter’s storage.
…Matter unexpectedly grew into quite the big boy, and the chips can sadly not hold it.
BUT the current Essentials are still “future-proof” in spite of this because they will continue to be supported by your current smart home ecosystems just the same, even when Matter arrives!

They had this posted back in April 1, which is months ago... so easy to call in this case.

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
What I want to know with matter is, can I have a family member with an android phone, me with an iPhone, and have time/location etc automations work on both platforms concurrently? If not, I don’t really see what benefit matter will bring with devices that already support the 3 main smart platforms, much like with hue, whom are refusing to support thread (gotta have that manufacturer lock in) but are going to support matter. Means absolutely nothing as far as I can tell.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
I don't understand what could possibly be lacking? why can wifi only devices become matter compatible but not thread? I was under the impression early on that everything needed thread radios and that was the main issue. ugh ridiculous.

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
I’m another happy camper with the current Thread Nanoleaf bulbs. Never had an issue with unreachable bulbs, very fast response. Gradually retiring my Hue bulbs for these.
My Nanoleaf bulbs also work well (I moved from Hue). I just wish there were more products and availability.
Apart from the panels, there's the light strip and the A19 bulb. So I'm happy to see the GU10 & BR30 bulb introduced.

Hopefully new lighting accessories & options will follow in the future. I like not having that Hue Hub, but Hue definitely has them beat in lighting options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.