Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nanoleaf today announced the launch of preorders for several new products, including new light panels and the 4D Screen Mirroring and Lightstrip Kit that it announced at CES.

nanoleaf-4d-kit.jpg

The Nanoleaf 4D is a lightstrip and camera setup that is designed to provide backlighting for your TV or display that matches the content on the screen. There is a Nanoleaf Lightstrip that attaches to the back of a TV set, paired with a camera that is pointed at the screen to detect the colors.

The camera is able to capture the different shades on the display, syncing them in real-time to the gradient lightstrip behind it. Nanoleaf says that this setup is meant to provide a "true 4D effect" that extends content beyond the TV. The camera does not record footage and is used solely for color syncing, plus there is a privacy cover for those who are concerned.

nanoleaf-camera-4d.jpg

There are four mirror modes from a subtle ambient glow to a direct match to the TV screen, and the Screen Mirror Modes can be combined with Rhythm Music Sync to mirror the colors on the screen while also reacting to soundtracks or in-game effects.

Nanoleaf's Sync+ feature allows the screen mirroring to work with the included lightstrip as well as other Nanoleaf lighting products for an "all-encompassing visual experience." Up to 50 Nanoleaf RGB devices can be connected, including Nanoleaf's light panels.

There's a Nanoleaf x Overwolf partnership for gamers that allows real-time lighting reactions synced to in-game events, with a customizable color palette available. The Overwolf functionality is available for titles that include Apex Legends, Call of Duty, and Dota, and it works across any Nanoleaf RGB setup. Overwolf can be set up with the Nanoleaf Desktop app starting today.

Nanoleaf today also announced the upcoming launch of the Ultra Black Shapes Hexagons, which are light panels that feature a 360-degree black finish to match darker decor. The Ultra Black Hexagons are identical to the standard Hexagons, but are black when powered off rather than white.

nanoleaf-black-hexagons.jpg

Both the Nanoleaf 4D and the Ultra Black Hexagons work with the Nanoleaf app or with HomeKit. Later this year, an over-the-air Matter update will launch to improve compatibility across smart home platforms.

The Nanoleaf 4D Screen Mirror and Lightstrip Kit can be preordered today from Nanoleaf. Two lengths are available, with the 65-inch lightstrip priced at $100, and the 85-inch lightstrip priced at $120. The camera is also available on a standalone basis for $80. The kits are expected to ship in mid-July, and customers who preorder by June 28 will receive a bonus $20 Nanoleaf gift card.

The Nanoleaf Ultra Black Hexagons are also available for preorder from Nanoleaf today, with a nine-piece kit priced at $220. Orders will ship out in late July.

Article Link: Nanoleaf Debuts 4D Lightstrip Kit and Ultra Black Hexagons

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Is it just me or does it look like the black panels don’t work so well? They only seem able to do very dark shades. Which makes sense. There's probably a reason most light bulbs are in a clear or white housing.

Reactions: PlasmStudios

McWetty

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
Nanoleaf makes good gear, I have a set of panels behind my Legends Ultimate Arcade setup, but this seems janky. I would rather have an HDMI box that processes the incoming signal like Hue. I’d have checked that out.

Reactions: RobNYC

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
Is it just me or does it look like the black panels don’t work so well? They only seem able to do very dark shades. Which makes sense. There's probably a reason most light bulbs are in a clear or white housing.
I love my black triangles. Nanoleaf stuff looked pretty tacky when it was off before those came out. The black ones look nice on the wall. The colors are a little dimmer but it’s worth it.

Reactions: CarAnalogy

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
So it’s a govee clone. Which is an ok but not great imitation of ambilight. Got it.

In a more serious note, I had an ambilight set for years but Philips is literally the worst tv maker for software and support that exists. So I bought a better oled and a govee kit. It took a lot of tuning (don’t believe them about the outside perimeter if you have a big tv) but it looks almost as good now, and the camera fades away. I don’t notice it anymore.

All of that said, the hue sync box would be something I’d buy, begrudgingly giving Philips money, but for the fact the hdmi is antiquated. I’m not giving up 120 refresh to use ambilight. And as usual their support and software updates are the worst.

Overall at twice the price of the govee kit I already have, which is the tip reviewed kit (or was) on Amazon, I can’t see how it’s much better or worth the cost. I would say to those who don’t want to spend on Philips solutions, or give their awful tv division money, these solutions are pretty good, despite naysayers. And I'm picky.

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
Having an external camera pointing at the screen is ridiculous. The modern smart TV surely knows what colors it’s displaying. Could it not make that information available via an API to the lights manufacturers?
Samsung and Hue have made it possible to do this without needing the Hue Play Sync Box, which is ultimately better, since it supports more formats not having to pass HDMI through a box.

Reactions: PlasmStudios

PlasmStudios

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2013
New York City, New York
Not a fan of these TV color-syncing solutions that require cameras. Hue's approach -- either a dedicated sync box or an app -- is much more elegant.

In theory... yes. In practice, no. When I was researching these Hue was the top contender but unfortunately not only is it expensive it's also limited in many ways. There was lack of HDR support, limited refresh rates and limited HDMI ports. Imagine paying for a high-end TV and then hamstringing it to a lower resolution, color support, or limited refresh rate. Not an ideal solution especially if you game on your TV and/or it's your main way of watching quality content.

The cameras are less elegant and bulky, yes, but they're more versatile and much much cheaper. I got the first version from Govee on sale and while the color matching is a little hit or miss at times, I hear the newer versions with better cameras are much better.

Reactions: mihike and iMerik

brunerd

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2009
Chicago
I still use a Dreamscreen 4K which uses a box and I like that solution for sure, but there were trade offs like no Dolby Vision support, but that's fine really it supports non-Dolby HDR. I've since upgraded my AV receiver so the Dreamscreen box gets it's own HDMI output and the other runs straight to the TV

The company is now defunct but it still works, but yeah I feel like HDCP copy protection has to be the reason so many of these light sync products are avoiding that "bag of hurt" and use a camera instead

Reactions: RobNYC

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I still can’t get past the unevenness of the lighting with the hexagons. They should have figured out by now how to diffuse it to near perfect linearity.

Verified Whiskey

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2023
I actually prefer the camera setup. That way I know what it’s doing, and not secretly siphoning my data through HDMI and sending it somewhere. Plus it doesn’t limit the resolution or framerate of the TV.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
I still use a Dreamscreen 4K which uses a box and I like that solution for sure, but there were trade offs like no Dolby Vision support, but that's fine really it supports non-Dolby HDR. I've since upgraded my AV receiver so the Dreamscreen box gets it's own HDMI output and the other runs straight to the TV

The company is now defunct but it still works, but yeah I feel like HDCP copy protection has to be the reason so many of these light sync products are avoiding that "bag of hurt" and use a camera instead
Agree, Dreamscreen seemed to have nailed this years ago and I don't understand why no one else has managed to come out with anything as good as theres. I only stopped using mine when we went to a wooden wall behind the TV, so wasn't aware they're no longer in business. That's a shame.

imola.zhp

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN
I must be the only one that finds this distracting from watching the content on the TV. We've had LED strips on the backs of our TV's for over a decade now. Started with just an orange rope light now they are Phillips Hue LED strips. We still use orange primarily as the background color, our evening and pre-sleep scenes turn them red. If we change from either of those colors its just when we or someone is playing with the lights throughout the house.

We were at a friends recently that has the dynamic LED's behind their TV, it just seemed distracting, pulled my focus away from the content, maybe it takes some getting used to? I'll keep passing for now...

Reactions: Analog Kid

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
thank god for Samsung Hue app on newer Samsung TVs so you dont need to worry about slow/limited HDMI ports using a box or cameras

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I believe the security on hdmi is what makes this an issue
No, there are literally competitors that offer this. The box just usually doesn't support the latest HDMI spec for 120Hz, etc.

These camera based solutions have been available on Amazon for years for less than this. My friend has one. What they likely did was rebranded one of these through a partnership and then added on their brand tax. Don't see the point in this product except now it has marketing dollars behind this flashy brand so people are suddenly aware of it.

They should've gone with a premium HDMI solution. That's what many of us are waiting for. A company that has good software and support with an updated HDMI box.

pmbooks

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
California
Not clear about the set-up on the strips. Are they supposed to (or need to) be placed surrounding the back of the tv, or just along the top? Seems one would need considerably more than "65 or "85" for most tvs nowadays, if the former configuration.

Extoll

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
Southport Nc
Still waiting for one that has a box that supports VVR, 4k 120, earc, and all the other standers. If anyone buy this you can probably do what i did with a kit about same as this one. Get small box and fish tank rocks. Cut hole in the back for the camera cable. lay camera in the box and put rocks around it. Lay it on tv stand with camera pointing up to the tv. This works and hides the camera and looks nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.