Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nanoleaf today announced the upcoming launch of the Nanoleaf Smart Holiday String Lights, which are able to integrate with Matter-compatible smart home platforms like HomeKit.

nanoleaf-holiday-lights-1.jpg

The two 10-meter light strands include 250 addressable LEDs that can be set to 16 million colors and multiple shades of white that range from 2700 to 6500K. With IP44 water resistance, the 250 lumen lights are able to be used indoors or outdoors.

Lights can be controlled with the Nanoleaf app, with the Home app, or with Siri voice commands. With the Nanoleaf app, there are customizable color palettes and light animations, plus an option to sync with music that's playing. There are nine preset scenes such as Holiday Magic and Crackling Fireplace.

nanoleaf-holiday-lights-2.jpg

Because Nanoleaf's lights are Matter-enabled, a Matter-compatible smart home hub like the HomePod mini or recent Apple TV 4K is required to use them with HomeKit. The lights can be controlled via Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and Matter over Wi-Fi, plus there are physical controls available in case a smart device is not around when you want to change the color or turn the lights off.

The Nanoleaf Smart Holiday String Lights can be pre-ordered from the Nanoleaf website for $120. Orders will begin shipping in mid-October.

Article Link: Nanoleaf Debuts Matter-Enabled Smart Holiday String Lights

Last edited:

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
I don't generally like the Nanoleaf stuff but these have potential. Would be dependent on how many "themes" become available or how easily you can make your own. I know it says 9 are available now but hopefully they don't stop there.

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
I don't see any mention of any support for 2D or 3D mapping the lights, like Twinkly has. I'd like to see a competitor to Twinkly, because animations on the Twinkly lights stutter, and they have annoying flicker with certain color combinations.

Last edited:

indychris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Fort Wayne, IN
I'm pretty sure that my wife would skin me alive if I bought 3-4 of these to replace our $1 incandescent bulbs that we bought on sale after Christmas! I mean, I'm an Apple fan, so I'm no stranger to paying a premium, but this is a bit beyond the pale for me. And I get that the cost of development, production and promotion has to be covered with a profit, so I'm not dissing on Nanoleaf at all. Just beyond what I can personally justify. I hope they do well as they look great, though I do have to wonder about the look of the black strings on a green tree. For Christmas tree light I would definitely prefer green, though maybe they are trying to make these stand out against all the cheap string lights on the market.

McWetty

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
I was a big fan of Nanoleaf products a few years back (has it been a decade already?) but their stuff always seems to fail. I’ve had 10ish of their products and all of them have failed (and so have the warranty replacements to a degree). I think I’m down to 2 functioning panel controllers now. Considering the price of entry, I expect a lot better. I can’t recommend Nanoleaf anymore.

squirrelist

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Here we go with the Matter/Thread confusion again. These lights are Matter over WiFi. They are not Thread. They do not require a HomePod Mini or an Apple TV 4K to work as the article implies. The specs do say you need a home hub to connect to a smart home ecosystem. But it doesn't say you need a Thread hub. An older HomePod or Apple TV will do.

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
I was a big fan of Nanoleaf products a few years back (has it been a decade already?) but their stuff always seems to fail. I’ve had 10ish of their products and all of them have failed (and so have the warranty replacements to a degree). I think I’m down to 2 functioning panel controllers now. Considering the price of entry, I expect a lot better. I can’t recommend Nanoleaf anymore.
I was with Hue for awhile...then switch to Nanoleaf a couple of years ago because the bulbs were less expensive & a hub wasn't required.

Nanoleaf was fine / solid for me, they worked as expected...but I always felt like the colors from Hue were brighter. I also preferred Hue's app to Nanoleafs.

The other big issue for me was just the availability of Nanoleaf. It seemed much easier to find Hue everywhere from Hone Depot, Target, etc. Nanoleaf products were either sold out & had small or no section in Smart Lighting Depatments in retail stores. Plus, it was either bulbs or the wall shapes. I'm glad to see them release more products, but...I'm out.

I recently switched back and I'm happy I did. Nanoleaf wasn't bad for me & the price was great, but overall I much prefer Hue.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA

Nanoleaf today announced the upcoming launch of the Nanoleaf Smart Holiday String Lights, which are able to integrate with Matter-compatible smart home platforms like HomeKit.

The two 10-meter light strands include 250 addressable LEDs that can be set to 16 million colors and multiple shades of white that range from 2700 to 6500K. With IP44 water resistance, the 250 lumen lights are able to be used indoors or outdoors.

Lights can be controlled with the Nanoleaf app, with the Home app, or with Siri voice commands. With the Nanoleaf app, there are customizable color palettes and light animations, plus an option to sync with music that's playing. There are nine preset scenes such as Holiday Magic and Crackling Fireplace.

Because Nanoleaf's lights are Matter-enabled, a Matter-compatible smart home hub like the HomePod mini or recent Apple TV 4K is required to use them with HomeKit.

The Nanoleaf Smart Holiday String Lights can be pre-ordered from the Nanoleaf website for $120. Orders will begin shipping in mid-October.

Article Link: Nanoleaf Debuts Matter-Enabled Smart Holiday String Lights
Deleted, thought they were intended for outside.

TheDailyApple

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2019
I'm pretty sure that my wife would skin me alive if I bought 3-4 of these to replace our $1 incandescent bulbs that we bought on sale after Christmas! I mean, I'm an Apple fan, so I'm no stranger to paying a premium, but this is a bit beyond the pale for me. And I get that the cost of development, production and promotion has to be covered with a profit, so I'm not dissing on Nanoleaf at all. Just beyond what I can personally justify. I hope they do well as they look great, though I do have to wonder about the look of the black strings on a green tree. For Christmas tree light I would definitely prefer green, though maybe they are trying to make these stand out against all the cheap string lights on the market.
My thoughts precisely. Even if the LEDs last longer than the cheap incandescent lights, I could throw the incandescent ones out every year for new ones and still be cheaper. the only thing I need to have smart home compatibility is a single smart outlet that I can use for other things out of season.

AndreGB

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
Kinda stupid question: why are these Matter devices so limited when running on Matter? Is it related to the protocol?

onedsc

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2013
So looking at the specs - can only stand "light rain". So no to outdoors use unless they are under an eve and fully protected from direct rain. Don't wrap any outside trees. $120 is exorbitant for the real use you will get out these light. Glorified tree lights pretending to be useful elsewhere.

urbZZ

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2016
Exactly what humanity needs now. Thank you nano leaf.

Consume. Victims.

Because Nanoleaf's lights are Matter-enabled, a Matter-compatible smart home hub like the HomePod mini or recent Apple TV 4K is required to use them with HomeKit.

Article Link: Nanoleaf Debuts Matter-Enabled Smart Holiday St

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.