Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nanoleaf today launched Lines Skins, which are designed to attach to the Nanoleaf Lines lights to change the color of the plastic bars to allow them to better blend in with a room's design.

nanoleaf-lines-1.jpg

Priced at $20, the Skins are available in either matte black or matte pink, and are able to fit over the Nanoleaf Lines bars and connectors, which are white by default. Each package includes nine skins and nine mounting caps, which is enough to fit over the default Lines package.

nanoleaf-lines-2.jpg

Skins change the look of the Nanoleaf Line lights both when they are activated and when they're turned off as the Lines offer up light that radiates out from the light bars. If you're unfamiliar with Lines, it is Nanoleaf's newest lighting product. Lines are modular light bars that feature backlit illumination and that can be arranged into different patterns and shapes.

nanoleaf-lines-3.jpg

Nanoleaf Lines are priced at $200 for a set of nine, and the Skins are an additional $20. Both products can be purchased from the Nanoleaf website.

Article Link: Nanoleaf's Line Lights Can Now Be Updated With Different Colored Skins

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
Nanoleaf is a pretty fun way to add personality to a space. I've considered getting a set, but I'm too much of a minimalist.

The whole light stuff is a Chinese invention, can be bought cheaply there and sold expensively in America by Americans to Americans.

There is a dedicated nanoleaf page at alibaba.
With a fraction of the cost, because the crap simply does not cost in their production in china.

I buy some crap for $5, put an Apple computer next to it, give the photo with a 10% profit share to a website that publishes and promotes it, and sell the stuff for $25. Innovation? Better world? Clever?Technically interesting? More likely no. And that's why I don't do it.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-04-25 um 22.56.57.png
    Screenshot 2022-04-25 um 22.56.57.png
    350.7 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I think these nano leafs are really neat but man they are too expensive.
This type of ‘tech’ in general is expensive. But to the consumer who sees the creativity in such a niche category, doesn’t have an issue with the price point. Nano understands this product isn’t for everyone’s office/home-space.

• Haha
Reactions: Morgenland

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
This type of ‘tech’ in general is expensive. But to the consumer who sees the creativity in such a niche category, doesn’t have an issue with the price point. Nano understands this product isn’t for everyone’s office/home-space.

w.jpg

Buy on the Internet, and compare Chinese suppliers and prices for similar products. In China, there are many panels with touch or app-controllable stuff and everything in a wide variety. What you write is absolutely wrong in content. Why are you writing this?

Last edited:

coachgq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
They certainly are not for the layman like me who would put them up in my office for the cool factor but won’t spend excess cash for light bulbs.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
These actually look halfway decent. I'm a fan of indirect light on the walls. I have a few lights that I shine up on the wall behind my Mac to give a good backlight and reduce glare. The other Nanoleaf stuff screamed Twitch gamer to me. This is a bit more subtle and doesn't suffer from the uneven lighting panels since it's indirect. I'm more interested in being able to change the white light temperature throughout the day since I don't have windows. I may even rig up a light sensor outside to control the light level indoors so it feels more natural and not only changes throughout the day but with passing clouds, etc. At some point I think I'm going to build a large desk into the 10ft nook where my office is in my studio space and I may incorporate this into the design when planning. Sounds like a fun project for winter this year. I'm excited to do some next-level built-in cable management and make everything look super slick and tidy. I want to find a large 10ft x 2ft x 2in thick slab of hardwood, if possible, to span the entire nook. Right now I have a sturdy steel case style desk that is awkward in the space as it doesn't span all the way and sticks out on one end and looks drab.

Buy on the Internet, and look at Chinese suppliers and prices for similar products. In China, there are many panels with touch or app-controllable stuff and everything in a wide variety. What you write is absolutely wrong in content. Why are you writing this?
Because most of that crap is garbage that isn't UL listed and may burn my house down.

Reactions: CC77

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
View attachment 1996464
Buy on the Internet, and compare Chinese suppliers and prices for similar products. In China, there are many panels with touch or app-controllable stuff and everything in a wide variety. What you write is absolutely wrong in content. Why are you writing this?
Just because you are able to find some Chinese knockoffs doesn't mean they are the same quality or have the same functionality. A lot of this stuff is blessed with terrible apps, has no Wifi connectivity, doesn't integrate with the Home app, doesn't work as a light system etc.

Izauze

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2013
These look so amazingly tacky. Instantly transforms a room into looking like a gamer dorm room.

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
Just because you are able to find some Chinese knockoffs doesn't mean they are the same quality or have the same functionality. A lot of this stuff is blessed with terrible apps, has no Wifi connectivity, doesn't integrate with the Home app, doesn't work as a light system etc.
You're absolutely right, of course. But who tells us that this stuff is not also made in China? Like most things, actually... I just want to point out how the price horizon of hardware in China is. While Apple completes its e.g. there produced hardware with a lot of costly development and service and generally makes it possible, I recognize with Nanoleaf only a possible UL approval as American own work, the development effort is insignificant, the cost difference is huge.

Usually, people here then use the term greed.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
You're absolutely right, of course. But who tells us that this stuff is not also made in China? Like most things, actually... I just want to point out how the price horizon of hardware in China is. While Apple completes its e.g. there produced hardware with a lot of costly development and service and generally makes it possible, I recognize with Nanoleaf only a possible UL approval as American own work, the development effort is insignificant, the cost difference is huge.

Usually, people here then use the term greed.

Nanoleaf was as far as I remember founded by a few people who went to the university of Toronto and their headquarters are in Canada to this day. The software developers, the hardware features and their plenty integrations with other systems don’t come cheap - don’t discount that vs some cheap Bluetooth copycat that can do half of what the Nanoleaf stuff can do. I’m not saying their stuff is sensibly priced but there are reasons why it’s more expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.