Nanowrimo '10 & The iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cainnovacaine, Jul 28, 2010.

1. cainnovacaine macrumors regular

cainnovacaine

I'm going to attempt to use my iPad for 80-90% of my writing for National Novel Writing Month this year. I don't own a laptop anymore but I want to write on the go and the save to and edit from my Dropbox. I'm currently using it for light writing and editing and have come away with a favorable impression.

I should also mention I will be using the keyboard dock when I'm at home and using the folded Apple case for incline on the go.

What have your experiences been writing and editing on the iPad? Any tricks or apps I should know?

2. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

just one suggestion...

I would recommend you using the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard rather than the Keyboard Dock, as you will be able to use your iPad in landscape mode.

The dock also takes away your freedom to adjust the angle of your iPad.:mad:
    There are several solutions out there that will hold your iPad at an adjustable angle.:cool:

Please let us hear from you regarding your experience using the IPad for this project.
    It's going to be quite interesting...:D

3. mixvio macrumors 6502

I used my iPad primarily to write a 25k word novella which is just starting to percolate across the internet. It will show up on the Amazon Kindle store in a day or so, which I'm really excited about, then iBooks a few days after that.

All in all I didn't really have a hard time with it, and I wrote 99% of the stuff directly on the iPad. No keyboard dock or bluetooth keyboard. It took some time to get used to it, as well as turning off auto-correct (I was using Pages, which has its own spelling feature that isn't as obtrusive) but after a couple days I was writing as much on the iPad as I had been on my laptop.

The iPad has completely surpassed my laptop, in fact, when it comes to writing outside my home. I used to take my laptop down to a cafe for an hour but nothing beats being able to just throw my iPad in a small bag and go.

For software my setup was a bit convoluted. I sync everything to Dropbox, both because it backs stuff up a second time but also because it allows me to keep my important documents on multiple computers. Sadly file sharing with the iPad sucks, so I had to accomplish this a roundabout way.

I did all my document creating in Pages, then exporting them as a doc file. I also bought Docs2Go because it has a desktop application that lets you sync a folder between the iPad and your computer. So I would set that desktop application to watch a folder in my Dropbox, then use iFile on my jailbroken iPad to move the doc file from Pages into the folder on Docs2Go, which made the program think a new file had been created the next time I sync'd it to my desktop.

Convoluted, but after the first day or so you pick up the rhythm. Obviously if you don't care about this setup you won't have trouble.

Pages has its limitations but it's still the best writing app I've seen on the iPad. I prefer to use Office on a computer (and don't own Pages for OSX) but nothing else compares yet when it comes to featureset and ease of use.

4. mklnk macrumors regular

I write a lot with the ipad, screen plays and short fiction, using the onscreen keyboard. I don't prefer it over a standard keyboard, but the advantage of having no moving parts, and no accessories to carry around more than makes up for that. In portrait mode, I can even write while standing on the train.

Even when at home, I will default to the ipad and the onscreen keyboard for simple text entry simply because I can no longer morally justify the power consumption of a desktop pc for any application that can just as easily be done on the ipad.

5. kaiak macrumors member

You know, that's a really good idea. I've been doing NaNoWriMo for the last five years probably, and since my laptop to me isn't that portable anymore (it needs to be plugged in 24/7), I was wondering how I would write on the good. My iPad never occurred to me. Thanks! :)

6. happyslayer macrumors 6502a

happyslayer

I am considering doing NaNo this year on my iPad as well.

Still not sure on the best software. I am considering Pages (since I already own it) but I have also been playing with a lot of other text editors.

Plaintext actually looks pretty promising, but it lacks quite a few features as well.

Hmmm... Not totally sure yet.

Good luck!