Naples Florida

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by macjock, Aug 28, 2011.

1. macjock macrumors regular

I will be travelling to Florida for a holiday later this year. I will be based in Orlando, but for a special occasion was looking to book accommodation elsewhere for a night during my trip.

I have never been to Naples, therefore am considering this as my destination. I have a three year old kid and was wondering if the area including its restaurants etc are child friendly.

Any other opinion on Naples would be appreciated. I've been looking at hotels around the 5th Avenue area.

PS : I am aware it is circa 200 miles from Orlando.

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Naples is paradise ... I have family there and have been visiting for years.

It is more of a wealthy retirement community ... however you will enjoy yourselves visiting with a 3 year old. ... and your wife will love 5th Ave.

The Pier at the beach is one of the oldest in the State ... you can walk along the beach there and see some amazing Oceanfront Mansions.

If you are there on a Sunday ... go to the Naples Golf and Beach Resort (which is right on the Ocean) Sunday afternoon ... they have an amazing Party every Sunday with Live Music from 2pm to 6pm ... go early if you want a good parking spot.

Naples is a good choice ... cheers

3. MSM Hobbes macrumors 6502

Naples is indeed good place... however, my recommendation [based on recent week vacation and trips to these areas] would be the Nokomis, Sarasota, Venice, etc. area... less expensive, and many multiple beautiful beaches (each with their own different personalities), along with good food and places to stay. You also shave ~1.75 hours off the trip, one-way. Some nice state parks too in the area. Just a thoughts,,, esp. if you are doing this as a one-night jaunt?

4. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

Naples is nice, but it's a long drive from Orlando when you have Sarasota, St Pete, etc being almost as nice and a lot closer.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

He's "never been to Naples", which to me means he's been other places in Northern Florida.

Pine Island is nice, West of North Fort Myers, and not as long a drive, but Naples is certainly more "ritzy".

6. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

Naples is great.But it is a long drive from Orlando. My dad lives in Sarasota, great town and the beach is one of the best in the world. +1 for Venice too, Sharkys on the pier is a fantastic restaurant!

7. macjock thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies so far.

I have previously been to St Pete's and clearwater so would like to try somewhere new.

I've been as far down as west palm beach on the other coast which I thought was really nice.

I will do a bit of research on Sarasota and Venice. I take it in both these places there are plenty of shops and restaurants clustered together as there appears to be in Naples?

As for Naples I had been looking at the bayfront inn or the inn on 5th for accommodation.

8. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Any place along the Gulf Coast of Florida is nice. The Gulf Coast is beautiful. I live here now... :)

But I saw the first word in the title of the thread and thought about Naples, Italy which is gorgeous.

9. Ravaroo macrumors 6502

Ravaroo

got to spend a few days at the Ritz Carlton Beach Resort in Naples last spring.. it was heavenly:cool:
    the downtown area has some fantastic restaurants, many with outdoor dining, a number of them were fairly reasonable too.
    Shopping galore..seems like there was miles of mini-malls
    Golf, Golf, and more Golf