Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sir Loin Steak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
England
I'm going to make no apologies here, but to ask as the question comes into my head - are there any mac/pc games, preferably online, which are based on the Napoleonic Wars?

FPS preferred.

I'm ok with MOHAA, but with an interest in 19th C Europe politics and economics, I thought this might be a nice diversion.

Cheers chaps.

bluebomberman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
Queens, NYC
You mean besides Napoleon: Total War?

Europa Universalis III on Steam includes a Napoleon-themed add-on.

A quick Google search also turned up Commander: Napoleon at War.

All strategy games... (an FPS of Napoleonic warfare being unlikely to excite the Call of Duty addicts out there)

BobbyCat

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Beyond
Imperial Glory

Imperial Glory is still the best Napoleonic wargame on Mac so far, but it has some weaknesses. Too bad they didn't try to improve the game after the first release, it was a good combination of strategy and troops combat.

It's not very demanding in terms of hardware (I run it on a 20" screen connected to a 2008 Core 2 Duo MacBook).

You may get a little bored after playing a number of times, but it's definitely worth buying, and it's still fun to play from time to time.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Napoleonic FPS? Err, no. FPS junkies have no interest in slow-loading, inaccurate muskets, nor in standing in line being shot at with artillery with no chance to leave and save the day single handed.

Basically the only games are strategy. Empire/Napoleon Total War are the best of the bunch, Imperial Glory is good, and that's about it for good direct games.

aCondor

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2010
United States
Yeah... I don't think there are any Napoleonic FPS in existence. For good reason. March in line for 15 minutes. Stay organized! Load your musket. Hold... Hold... Wait, again. There is the enemy! Wait for them to come within 30 yards! Hold... Fire! Repeat until everyone is dead.

The Total War franchise allows you to zoom in and out of the battlefield to get a "FPS-type" of view. This is your best bet.

BTW, the Total War games are superb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.