Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
new marketing paradigm

Originally posted by sgtlmj
I'm a Windoze user getting ready to switch as soon as I get enough $$$ for a 12" PB, but in the meantime, I'm using iTunes with M$ and my iPod couldn't be happier. (Well... it will be happier when its mated to a PB!)

Anyway, I'm watching all these music services starting up with glee. Apple, Buy.com, Napster, MusicMatch, Wally-World wants in now...

You know what I see? Competition! $0.99 per song is a great price, but perhaps when all these folks get up and running, Steve may lower the price of the songs a bit, or offer a buy 10 get one free thing.

Competition is good. It keeps everyone sharp, and keeps the prices resonable. It's also an inspiration for innovation. We'll be seeing new compression formats, players, streaming services all within the next few years, and it's everyone's love of music, and the desire to get anything instantly that is driving this.

We can be amused at the ploys of other wannabe services, but its all good in the longrun.

Just my $0.02

This article

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/33850.html

makes the point that price competition can't arise as long as the RIAA is involved. On the other hand, savvy artists may begin turning away from the major record companies and either go with independents that provide a larger piece of the action, or self publish music. Still, I wouldn't expect pricing competition until the RIAA has been weakened.

Dippo

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Re: new marketing paradigm

Originally posted by TMay
This article

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/33850.html

makes the point that price competition can't arise as long as the RIAA is involved. On the other hand, savvy artists may begin turning away from the major record companies and either go with independents that provide a larger piece of the action, or self publish music. Still, I wouldn't expect pricing competition until the RIAA has been weakened.

I think that Jobs master plan for iTunes involves getting artists to break away from the big five and become independent. Then Apple doesn't have to pay the enormous fees to the RIAA.

I think that in 10 years the RIAA will no longer exist, it will replaced by large independent labels that have better motives.

Just think it iTunes became so big that it controlled over 50% of all music sales (think Walmart) then Apple could tell the RIAA, "you either sell it to us for 50 cents a song, or we won't buy anymore"

ryaxnb

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2003
Originally posted by Macmaniac
Have you ever seen the ads for Napster, there are all sorts of references towards drinking and drugs. Poor kitty:(
example?

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
LMAO

Originally posted by jettredmont
I, too, was quite put off by their internet campaign.

True, it was an attempt at humor, but IMHO it missed the mark and bordered on offensive far too many times.

Frankly, I LOVED those ads...yeah, it could be a little too edgy (like in the reggae ad), but overall it's pretty clever. Imagine if Apple had done this ad campaign...then everyone would be singing its praises.

:cool: <---indy star

ryaxnb

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2003
Originally posted by Mr.Hey
What I love about Apple is that it currently holds 2.?% of the computing market (installer user base is much greater) but has influence as if it had ten times that amount. Go Apple!, GO GO GO!!!.
7%! 7%! And about 9-10% of installed user base. But more importantly, 7% market share, not 3%! Why 7%? Because that's the number if you don't count servers! Over twice. Those stupid people should change their figures from 3% to 7%.

Dahl

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2002
L.A.
Re: LMAO

Originally posted by DTphonehome
Frankly, I LOVED those ads...yeah, it could be a little too edgy (like in the reggae ad), but overall it's pretty clever. Imagine if Apple had done this ad campaign...then everyone would be singing its praises.

:cool: <---indy star
I thought some of them were fun too, but I have only seen "reunion" on TV and it is IMO. not the best.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
I find the 'The Deal' Ad the best because it was totally random.

'Hey we don't support money grabbing Companies and got this deal by complete luck... BTW we are owned... by... um... a large company...'

:rolleyes:

Apple will own them.

websterphreaky

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2003
Once Goldern State
Jobs should know about losing money

Other than that Steve Gods, er Jobs, knows how to "Milk" Apple for the Cherries like $80 Million Dollar Private Jets and Hundreds of Millions of Dollars in Stock Options; he's real good at running a money losing company . . . . Called Apple.

When was the last time that they actually had a profit bigger than the Dairy Queen chain??

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
Originally posted by Mr.Hey
What I love about Apple is that it currently holds 2.?% of the computing market (installer user base is much greater) but has influence as if it had ten times that amount. Go Apple!, GO GO GO!!!.

Yeah, I've always found that funny....also look at editorials, etc. on technology....everyone talks about what apple's doing while no one could care less what dell is up to...everyone talks about the iPod, but who talks about the "dell dj" without adding "is a piece of ****" afterward? The answer to that is no one. Why? Because it's a non-issue, non-ipod-killer...

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
Originally posted by sgtlmj
I'm a Windoze user getting ready to switch as soon as I get enough $$$ for a 12" PB, but in the meantime, I'm using iTunes with M$ and my iPod couldn't be happier. (Well... it will be happier when its mated to a PB!)

Oh it will....believe me...IT WILL! :D

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
heyall

im in computer class right now
some idiot istrying to tell my teacher that the new napster is free, and that you dont have to pay per song, just that your computer has to be compatible with the software, bahhh

im sitting in the corner chuckling at his stupidity, btw i already didnt like him... HAH

Dahl

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2002
L.A.
Dude, raise your hand and teach the tool the truth about Napster and squeeze in some nice pr. about iTunes, even if it's not out yet in Canada :D

Freakk123

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2003
Bronx, NY
I just saw the Napster reggae ad, and really, how disrespectful can you get! That crosses a line that SHOULD NOT be crossed. Ahh, to hell with them. GO iTMS!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.