Narnia: Prince Caspian trailer online!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by ApplePod17, Dec 4, 2007.

1. ApplePod17 macrumors newbie

ApplePod17

The premiere for the new trailer to The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian is now available at movies.yahoo.com and gosh does it look good!!

2. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Thanks for the heads up. I think it looks great.

P-Worm

3. mattniles007 macrumors 6502

mattniles007

4. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Great trailer. I can't wait to see that movie.
    I was reading about the cast of the movie online and found this funny little story about Georgie Henley, the little girl who plays Lucy Pevensie in the Narnia movies:
    "As a thank-you gift for being in his film [The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe], Andrew Adamson gave each of the children an iPod. When Georgie got hers she thanked him whole-heartedly, but once he was out of earshot she turned to her mother and asked: "What is it?"

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

This looks like it will be a great movie. thanks for pointing out the trailer.

6. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

Looks great but I wish they hadn't done them out of chronological order. The Magician's Nephew was a great book and one of my favourites.

7. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

They're doing them in the order the books were written. IMO, the story of the Magician's Nephew is actually better when you read it after The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. It's more satisfying when it's used to tie up loose ends. Lewis knew what he was doing...

8. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I think The Golden Compass is going to have the Narnia franchise for lunch...

9. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

10. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

Actually I didn't know the order they were written in until I looked up the name of The Magician's Nephew because it forgot it. I already knew the story of The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe anyway because the TV series was on ages ago.

I guess it was kinda hard for me to know which order to read them in. I have the first three in chronological order and Prince Caspian separate. From there I found the rest in the school library according to the list in my own books.

11. walangij macrumors 6502

I'm glad they're doing it in this order, its the order I read the books in, hopefully they continue w/ the series, lots of $ and movies to go though and our actors do age...

12. Pigumon macrumors 6502

Pigumon

the right order

Yeah it's GREAT they are doing it in the true written order rather than chronological order.

Why do people think chronological is "right"?

Star Wars was written 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3 for a REASON. The story flows so much better that way.

Same with Narnia. In fact, the true chronological order is the order in which they were written. LWW was First. Without it being first, the other books would not work as well. That's why Mr. Lewis wrote them in that order.

Can't wait for Voyage of the Dawn Treader!!!

13. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

The trailer looks like more of the same: overwrought epicism that's obvious in almost every way. I found the first movie to be devoid of any substance or soul. Only the inherent quality of the original plot saved it from having nothing unique about it at all. The BBC did much better.

14. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I'm definitely interested to see how they compare -- from what limited information I've seen, it's like one is the antithesis of the other.

15. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Watched it - looks better than the first movie a couple years ago.

Although I'm really curious as Disney makes the movies how they're going to handle the whole Calormene/Tash thing, since Calormene makes its first appearance in Prince Caspian. The books are flat out racist in this regard, and I can't imagine a train wreck like A Horse and His Boy translating well to the big screen.

16. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Good point. Hopefully they will just present it as it is and not try to interpret it as something or change it to something else.

17. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Yeah, I'm much less familiar with His Dark Materials than I am with Narnia - to be honest, I'd never heard of it before they started filming the trilogy - but it looks really promising.

And you're right, they do have very opposing themes. I think the press may be overplaying the difference - I don't think they're polar opposites - but it does make it fun to play them off one another.

Disney does not make the Narnia films, they just distribute them.

They're produced by a company called Walden Media which specializes in bringing children's fiction to the big screen.

18. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Unlikely as the reviewers are saying it suffers from a poor script and pacing. Plus you can tell they ran out of money at some points.

19. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I don't know, poor scripts and pacing haven't stopped several bad films from becoming blockbusters, so we'll have to wait and see.

I think Walden Media dropped the ball on Narnia and waited far too long to release the sequel. The had the ability to really capitalize on the success of the first one and weren't as successful as they could have been.

20. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

If that's the case, and all things being equal, than Narnia will kick the crap out of compass.

The Narnia series and C.S. Lewis hold far more weight than the Golden Compass and whoever wrote it :rolleyes:

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wow, I can't wait. Actually, I haven't seen "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe" yet, so I guess I actually can wait....

Is it bad that I have read these Narnia books around 20 times while growing up, and yet can't remember any of them outside TLTW&TW (and only because of the cartoon movie)?? I thought Prince Caspian all happened on a boat with 2 of the characters only, although I'm clearly wrong.

22. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

The media does like controversies but in the case I think it may be justified. Both stories may be fantasies but while Narnia is very heavily Christian influenced Golden Compass is completely based on weird Anti-Religious tones.

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't think the uproar is justified.

Regarding these C.S. Lewis books-turned-movies, you don't hear similar complaints or uproar from Atheists that believe these movies have very strong "pro Religion/pro-Christian" elements in them. Atheists are, by and large, more open to the idea that you can believe whatever you want, as they have chosen not to believe in a god. I'm sure Atheists aren't going to start asking the general Atheist population not to watch Prince Caspian because it "insults their non-belief in a god."

Believe what you want, and just understand that these movies are just a story.

24. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Not so. Lewis wrote The Magicians Nephew because people wanted to know how it started. He hadn't originally intended to write a begining. Also, I can't wait for Voyage of the Dawn Treader either. That is my favorite.

Racist!? Hahaha, wow. I don't see that at all. What Calormene's are is a symbol for the Middle Eastern countries and Tash is a symbol for Allah (whom the Christian's believe to be made up).

25. gothiquegirrl macrumors regular

gothiquegirrl

A- F'in -MEN!!!

The Books are my FAVORITE books of all time.. I was SO disappointed with the new LWW movie when i saw it.

It's like all the substance was taken out of the movie.. an a ton of agenda was put it.

I hope this next movie is better.. but i am not holding out hope.

The BBC did a seriously better job.

Ang