Narrowed down notebook purchase to 3, need opinions!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aleccj1, Apr 17, 2009.

1. aleccj1 macrumors newbie

I am finally getting my first m:apple:c! I have narrowed it down to 3 laptops:

1. Powerbook G4, 15 inches, 1.67 GHz, 2GB RAM, $680
    2. iBook G4, 14 inches, 1.42 GHz, max RAM (not sure what the max is???), $650
    3. MacBook, white, 1.83 GHz, 2GB RAM, rev B intel core 2 duo, at least $650 for a minimum spec

All of these will be used. The powerbook/ibook will both be the last versions. My only uses are web browsing, email, word processing. I really would like to avoid any intels INCLUDING plastic... I would like to avoid any possibilities of Windows being installed, and I really hate plastic. I really could care less about owning the latest technology, hence the option of PowerPC. Opinions are appreciated. I expect to get 3 years out of this laptop (at least)

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The max RAM for that iBook G4 is 1.5 GB (512 onboard and one RAM slot), FWIW.

I would go for the MacBook, unless you have some burning desire for a Powerbook. The PPC era is done, for better and for worse -- the PPCs will be perfectly usable, but the performance for just $70 more is immensely better in most regards.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I agree with mkrishnan
    For the price difference... the MacBook is the way to go

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

It could be a rev B as well.

6. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

alecc..if it has to be, I would recommend getting the macbook because at least it's an intel.

Though if it's 750..would you be open to the idea of waiting/saving for a little bit more and getting the new white macbook? I think you'll need 300 bucks more but it'll be a way better investment.

7. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

My vote is the white macbook as well. Just out of curiosity why dont u want the intel? Is someone going to sneak windows onto it? lol

8. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Macbook. Most powerful and it has an upgrade path if you decide you need it.

9. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I think (and the others above agree, I think) the white MacBook is the painfully obvious choice. Faster all-around and Intel.

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

11. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...all three options sound too expensive for old tech compared to what you can get new/refurb...

12. epyfa macrumors regular

If you really hate plastic either go for the Unibody Macbook or take the Powerbook. But I don't understand why you don't want Intel?

13. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Any of those will do fine for your uses...but how long do you plan on keeping them? The MacBook will last longer as far as web browsing goes. (Because surfing the web is becoming a more CPU and RAM intensive process all the time.) But if you only plan on keeping the machine you choose for about two years, it could be worth it to save a little money and go for the iBook.

If screen size is an issue, I suppose you could go for the PowerBook, although it seems pretty dang expensive.

It's your call in the end. But let me try and sum it up.

Get the MacBook if you want to keep it for a long time (Over two years)

Get the iBook if you want to save some money.

Get the PowerBook if screen size is important.

14. aethelbert macrumors 601

Both rev A and B would have the combo drive. I do agree on the refurb idea, but I would imagine that one would be able to talk a seller down from that price.

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I have to admit, I don't completely identify with or understand it, but there seem to be lots of buyers who are extremely cash sensitive, and so they will buy a computer that doesn't make sense because it's $100 less than one that does.

With respect to this Macbook, it is somewhat over-priced... well, if it's an eBay sale, that's probably the going rate or close to it, because of fee-related increases in price on eBay. But at a basic level, whether rev A or particularly rev B, the Macbook is actually pretty usable and will be for a while, whereas (as everyone in this thread seems to agree), the window is rapidly closing on the G4s.

Waiting and paying $100-200 more for an up-to-date refurbished or education priced Macbook makes more sense, I agree, if it's feasible. Otherwise, as others said, try to bargain down the price of the $750 Macbook.

16. aleccj1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I plan on getting at least 3 years use out of it.

17. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Then the intel based one is essential if you want to have a software upgrade path.

18. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Any of the three should work for a while, considering your rather simple needs. A netbook hackintosh would also work for you as well.

This may be rather obvious due to my avatar and sig, but I'd recommend a last gen 12" g4 ibook or powerbook. The size and form factor of the 12"ers are fantasic; they still have devoted fans today. I use a 12" pb for my light duty use like yours around the house, and it's quite capable as long as it's upgraded to 1.25 gigs of ram. The scrolling trackpad is nice, too. My dad got a 12" 1.07ghz g4 ibook as his first mac last summer, and it's surprisingly snappy at browsing, email, etc.

Keep a sharp eye on craigslist and you can find good deals on them. Use www.mac2sell.net to appraise whatever you buy and use their (IMO) lowball estimates to haggle with your reseller. I bought my pb for $400, and my dad got his ibook for $240!

I'd say 12" ibook, pb or hackintosh (if you're up to it) as a nice inexpensive way to get into mobile mac'ing.

19. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

Which OSX are you hoping to run? Tiger and Leopard should run fine on the Powerbook and iBook. But if i remember correctly Apple is dropping PPC support in Snow Leopard, which means only the Macbook can handle the next incarnation of operating system...........

20. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

My MacBook is 3 years old, and there's nothing which has gone wrong with it that the 1st year Applecare warranty hasn't solved.

The MacBook really is the much better machine. You'll get much better longevity from it than the other 2 PPC machines. Have a look around for a C2D MacBook Pro if you really despise the plastics, just avoid the CoreDuo models.