Narrowed down to 3 backpacks...now which one?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rydude07, Dec 8, 2009.

1. rydude07 macrumors newbie

Hey guys!

I have a new macbook 13.3 inch unibody and will get a waterfield vertical sleeve for it.

I am looking for a backpack. I prefer one with a laptop compartment (to be more safe) and something larger than my north face recon.

I am looking at the

1) Booq Taipan Pack
    http://www.booqbags.com/Laptop-Backpacks/Taipan-pack-black

2) Brenthaven Trek backpack

http://www.brenthaven.com/catalog-expandable-trek-titanium-apple.html

3) Ogio Epic

http://www.ogio.com/product.php?product=509

Of these which would you get? If you had to rank them from 1-3, 1 being best, which would you choose and why? If you have one of these, what are your opinions on them?

I want something that will hold my 13.3 laptop with the waterfield sleeve, a couple textbooks and maybe a sweatshirt. I don't mind getting a bigger backpack as I can use my north face recon for smaller loads.

I am a college student and am looking to going to graduate school and want a good backpack that looks good as well :)

Thanks guys!! :D

2. MrBrekke macrumors 6502

MrBrekke

The OGIO - Epic seems to provide the best protection to your MB. completely sealed of from other things in the bag.
    It look ok. and seems to be very usable.

Only bad i can see it that it is side loaded with the laptop. anyone can open it and take out you MB... not good for protecting against theft.

the TAIPAN PACK is better on the security part but it does not seal of the laptop department so you can get scratches if you are not careful and if you have things higher than the padding in your backpack.

the other option seems to soft to provide any protection.

i would say go for the TAIPAN PACK and get a soft cell protection sleeve for your MB.

3. belvdr macrumors 603

I disagree. I loved my Brenthaven when I had a 17" PowerBook. It had a padded sleeve the laptop slid into from the top. It was rigid too and would stand up on its own in the middle of the floor.

4. MrBrekke macrumors 6502

MrBrekke

i see your point. but you need to consider that if it fits a 17" how will the 13" behave in there? is there a way to fasten it in a normal way so it don't get loose inside.

5. belvdr macrumors 603

I'm not sure about the model the OP speaks of. Mine was one long sleeve and the laptop fit snugly. There's the padding in the sleeve and around the backpack so I don't think even a 13.3 could get damaged in there.

6. Laurencia7 macrumors 6502

on looks and comfort, cuz you will need it if your campus was like mine...go brenthaven. Seems well styled, secure...and as for secure from theft...a simple luggage lock can work. But just keep an eye on your stuff that is your best bet.

good luck.

7. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

8. rydude07 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for your help.

I have the 13.3 inch new macbook pro that I bought a week ago. I will be putting it in a waterfield sleeve and then putting it in the backpack sleeve, so I am not too worried if the laptop sleeve in the backpack is not the best.

Oh and I do not bicycle and not too worried about someone stealing my laptop as it will be next to me all of the time. I am finishing up college and going to grad school and want this for grad school. Also, I fly on the airplane quite a bit, at least every school break we have to go home so I want something sturdy as well.

I do wish those backpacks other than the ogio had dedicated laptop compartments. Other recommendations are welcomed as well.
    More opinions are welcomed :)

Thanks guys! Oh and which do you guys thinks looks the best for a college student?:D

9. WotanAgain macrumors newbie

You want the Ogio. Tough, functional, good product that won't make you look like some latte-serving hipster douchebag. I love my Ogio.

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Locks seem like a personal preference, I'm a big fan of Tom Bihn's bags.

11. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

I agree. I bought a Booq backpack and spent a ton of money on it. Its a piece of crap. I have a cheap gym bag that I have had for 20 years that has held up better than my $350 Booq back pack that I have had for only 18 months.

12. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I like to look not too geeky with my gear so I use a Norrona Fusion backpack.
    It looks like a backpack for hiking, but have a laptop compartment too!
    It's 35L big, so it can hold pretty much too! It's actually pretty comfortable while skiing too :D

I dunno if you can get Norrona in the US tho, but at least in Europe they are pretty popular.

[​IMG]

I would consider getting a laptop bag too, using the same backpack every day gets boring :p
    Especially when you only need to carry your lappy around I'd prefer a bag, there are many nice bags out there pretty cheap and I use a Kavu bag which I think looks awesome!

13. duncanapple macrumors 6502

Crumpler

Have you checked out crumpler? www.crumplerbags.com They have super durable bags and the laptop compartment, besides being very padded, are also suspended. So if you set the bag down on hard ground, the bag doesn't bang the ground too. They have a few sizes - just stay away from the "salary sacrifice." It supposedly fits the 13 inch and I can tell you first hand it doesn't (the corners just hardly zip and it stretches the bag). Also the main compartment of that bag is tiny. You sound like you would want the "king single" (what I have) or the even bigger still "beer back." Worth consideration, and good looking bags too.

14. rydude07 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yah I have checked out crumpler bags, but even the beer pack is too small. 16L is too small. I am looking for something bigger than my current north face recon.

15. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Tom Bihn Smart Alec?

16. MacUser09 macrumors regular

You should also look at STM. http://www.stmbags.com.au/

17. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I loved my STM Large Loop although the pocket may not be the greatest since the OP is using a 13" notebook. Phenomenal bag and lived up to every claim.

18. NightFox macrumors 68000

NightFox

Have you looked at the Wenger Swiss Gear range? Padded compartment for laptop, self-standing and lots of room to boot. Even has a separate removable compartment for all your cables and chargers etc.

[​IMG]

19. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Honestly they look too geeky imo. I recommend a northface recon which I have and love it!!! I'm in grad school too so I live in my backpack with my laptop, coffee, large waterbottle. It fits my mbp great with plenty of protection. plus it doesnt look like i have a laptop in there.

20. rydude07 thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually I have the north face recon actually and want a bigger backpack.

21. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

I don't have the one you posted, but I do have another Brenthaven.

I love it. It looks exactly the same as the day I got it, and it has been hauled back and forth across the country a couple times.

I have a 15% off coupon code for them, too. PM if you decide on the Brenthaven.

22. rydude07 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am looking at the STM large loop also. It looks pretty good but would the laptop compartment be too big? I am using my 13.3 macbook pro with the waterfield sleeve case...so I think it should be ok right? Any more opinions are welcomed.