NAS access through airport Express...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jorgo, Nov 1, 2007.

1. jorgo macrumors newbie

Hello everybody, hope someone has an asnwer for me...
    I just got a Maxtor shared storage II (300gb NAS) and I wondered whether there's a way to access it from my MBP through an airport express network.
    My setup is the following:
    Broadband internet arrives to a 100mbit ethernet hub to which an airport express base, an iMac and a PC Workstation are linked. My MBP and a MB connect to the internet and to the other computers through a.e.
    Now I have attached the forementioned NAS to the hub, but my MBP isn't going to recognise it unless I attach it to the hub too. No way until now of seeing it over the wireless network. The maxtor EasyManage utility seems only to work when an ethernet cable is plugged into the mac, and though i can access the nas network ui via Safari by typing its ip, i cannot mount the volumes in any way if not pluggin the ethernet cable in. Any tips? :confused:
    Thanks a lot in advance! :D

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

You can set up the eithernet express to bridge the wireless and wired networks but then it is no longer a NAS router. Buy a Linksys wired router conect you Internet service to it's WAN port and your hub to the lan port and then the express to the hub and set it up as a bridge.

The problem with your setup is that the NAS box and your notebook ar on different networks

3. jorgo thread starter macrumors newbie

so you're telling me that there must be something more beetween the hub and the internet service coming in... because i actually already set up Airport Express in bridging mode, and although it works with computers, it doesn't seem to work with the NAS...