NAS Advice and Help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ellisos, Aug 25, 2012.

1. ellisos macrumors newbie

Any help would be gladly appreciated! I am looking for a NAS for my iMac setup at home. WE ONLY USE MACS in our household, and I have a jailbroken ATV 2 running XBMC eden. The configuration I am looking for is as follows:

NAS enclosure (where I can install my own hard drives, thus I wont be limited to certain amount of space)

An enclosure that’s fast (for streaming the movies to XBMC with out lagging, or even 1080p content if when they eventually jailbrake the ATV 3)

Enclosure that has a USB port or 2 for sharing a printer

One that supports AFP, SMB, CIFS, NFS, FTP...AT LEAST (because not all NAS systems do)

An enclosure that has a BitTorrent Client built in, and is between the $100 – 200 dollar range.

I would really appreciate any comments or suggestions as I have been searching high and low in various forums and websites about recommendations on the best NAS brands to go with that fit these criteria. Looking at XBMC’s website, they clearly outline that not all NAS systems or enclosures will work with XBMC, because not all of them support the file protocols that I mentioned above. So if anyone can help me out or point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.

2. Fed macrumors 6502

Why not go with a mini server running some virtualisation software (Hyper-V comes with Win2k8)? Something like this (friend has it - works awesomely well).