NAS Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Weerez935, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Weerez935 macrumors regular

I'm looking at different storage options and thought I would ask here for advice.

I have a MacBook Air for school. Occasionally I stream itunes movies to the Apple TV (ripped dvds mainly kids movies for my daughter). I would like to offload my dvd library to a nas and my iphoto library. I would also like to do time machine backups from my wife's macbook and my air.

My MacBook Air had 180gb ssd, and hers is a 120gb ssd. Right now our dvds are attatched too the AirPort Extreme via a 320 gb external drive. So far it has worked for streaming movies but I would like to backup both machines and offload libraries.

I have consider buying a larger 2.5" drive, laCie cloudbox, transporter as well as other options. I would like to stay under 300$ with at least 1.5 tb.

Thanks

2. tkjazzer macrumors 6502

3. kmoreau48 macrumors member

kmoreau48

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1140

at best buy
    $160 for 2TB
    $190 for 3TB

I have the previous generation and use it to store my ripped DVD and back up my macbook pro on it. What I like about it is that I can access my drive wherever I am. It's like your own dropbox/google drive... except that you have 3TB instead of a limited 2 or 15 GB

or if you want to still use your airport, you can buy the Mybook which you can't access from anywhere but the 4TB is only $180 at best buy

4. aham23 macrumors regular

cheaper at amazon right now. totally was going with a less expensive bigger seagate but this is intriguing. so many options when it comes to backing up.

5. Weerez935 thread starter macrumors regular

After doing some research I found the synology 214play.

I think I'm leaning with that one because I can use it to push movies to the roku through plex.
    My only concern is what hard drives to buy for it.
    Do they have to be under 2tb and hfs+?

6. tkjazzer macrumors 6502

I don't know about the machine you mention.

But typically most NAS run a separate OS sorta like Linux. I don't think the file formatting matters then. I could be wrong though. I still think you should get a Drobo 5N and then buy the Western Digital Green (or maybe the Red) 4 TB drives.

7. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I have the 3TB and I love it.

There is a 4TB version also.

In addition to be able to access it remotely, I also like the fact that it can be expanded via the USB3 port, therefore adding more HDD to it will allow to continue expanding it.

8. DesterWallaboo macrumors 6502

DesterWallaboo

Having used both Synology and Drobo... I'd say Synology is the better value.

9. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

While I am more a heavy hitter NAS fan, The above mentioned unit seems to get pretty good praise in reviews. At that price, maybe give it a try and at worst, you can turn it into a back up machine if it doesn't meet your needs.

10. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

I have a Synology device, and really like it. One thing to note - I find iPhoto performs really not well with the library on the NAS. Takes a long time to open. Seems to be related to AFP issues, because throughput-wise I am getting better performance from the NAS than from USB2 hard drives. (I'm connected via Gigabit Ethernet.)

11. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

The synology is really not meant to handle housing libraries of photos or video, as it's network connection is quite a bottleneck for throughput. This is basically true for all NAS devices regardless. The synology does make for an excellent storage to stream content from and backup to however. A drobo would be better suited for housing iPhoto/aperture/etc libraries as you have FW/USB3.0/Thunderbolt

12. Wassethi macrumors newbie

Hi there need help for a NAS drive?
    I am looking to buy a NAS drive as I think I quite like the idea of having my Owen cloud I would like to buy the LaCie cloud box but there have been some mixed review a lot of people said that the technology is new and they will perfect it can any one give me an idea?