NAS Alternative to Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nope7308, May 14, 2010.

1. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

I would like an external HD that I can access wirelessly, so I can use Time Machine in addition to copying/reading large video files.

Since I already have a wireless router that works perfectly fine (Dlink WBR-2310), would it be possible to purchase an external HD only, connecting it to my router for wireless access? If so, I need some recommendations for which external HD would be suitable. The external HD would be powered on 24/7, so I want something that's:
    - Reliable
    - Quiet
    - No obnoxious lights
    - Runs cool

Is this possible? I would be looking at either a 1TB or 2TB drive, preferably at 7200rpm. Aside from being overpriced, the Time Capsule is a bit redundant as I already have a functioning router.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

P.S. I live in Canada, so I would appreciate recommendations that can be sourced locally (e.g. Futureshop, Best Buy, Canada Computers, etc.).

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

What you're asking for is called Network-Attached Storage (NAS). You can find a bunch of NAS stuff and reviews on Newegg. This system seems to be fairly well-received.

3. nope7308 thread starter macrumors 65816

nope7308

That sounds just about right. A few questions, though...

- Is NAS compatible with Time Machine?
    - Is it possible to purchase a NAS enclosure without the HDs? (I want to use 7200 rpm "green" HDs, which I can purchase at the local computer shop).
    - Will NAS' transfer speeds be comparable to Time Capsule?
    - Can I set up NAS as RAID?
    - Are there any limitations of NAS that I should be aware of?

Thanks again

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yes.

Yes. Look for a diskless system.

Yes.

Depends on the NAS. Check the specs.

I don't know, never dealt with them personally. Anything that affects the NAS should affect the Time Capsule too.