NAS and iTunes server suggestion?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by douglaswilliams, Jun 7, 2010.

1. douglaswilliams macrumors member

The facts:

I recently got married. My wife and I have individual iTunes accounts on separate laptops. We will both be getting iPhones later this week. She has one iPod Shuffle. I will also be purchasing some sort of NAS/media server thing this week.

What we [ideally] want it to do:

Consolidate our iTunes libraries to one account and store it on the same machine (probably the NAS thing). Have both our laptops auto back up to the NAS (which all of them can do-this is the easy part). Have the whole music library exist on each laptops with my iPhone syncing to my laptop and her iPhone and iPod shuffle syncing to her laptop (to specify which songs will be synced to each device). If one of us buys a song on our laptop it will be synced with the NAS/media server and thus synced with the other laptop as well.

I know that each account can authorize up to five devices to play iTunes music - two laptops, two iPhones and one Shuffle - that's five. And we run Windows 7.

What is the best way to accomplish this? What NAS/media server and/or software should I purchase?

2. ricky90 macrumors newbie

Check the Hp Media Servers, my friend just got one and so far is going pretty good. It works perfectly with the Time Machine.