NAS and SSD for 2008 iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ca9phoenix, Feb 27, 2012.

1. ca9phoenix macrumors newbie

Here's my situation....

I installed a 1Tb drive in my iMac recently as i was constantly filling the 320 that came with it.... easy enough job once i had the correct tools (torx screwdriver and the suction cup off my sat-nav)

I can't really afford to replace the iMac and it does feel somewhat sluggish compared with some of the more modern systems.

I was using a 500gb desktop hdd (firewire 800) as a time machine but i have now split this into a 300gb time machine and the 200gb spare now houses my iTunes library and me iPhoto library.

i have a 500gb NAS that all my movies go onto

All in all i have managed to get the HDD usage on my iMac down to 23gb

I've moved my download folder onto the external drive also.

So here is my plan....

Buy a 120GB SSD and install it into the iMac

Buy a new NAS enclosure that will share my iTunes library and install the 1Tb drive in that

copy iTunes library to NAS

Buy an iPad 3 (or whatever it will be called) (this will happen anyway as i've been sitting on the cash and waiting for about 4 months)

What i want as an end result.....

Faster iMac which is used for internet surfing some basic gaming (steam)

Access to my tunes library by iPad/iPhone/iMac (all independent of each other)

Torrent downloads controlled by NAS.

Products picked out so far are...

OCZ Vertex 3 120GB
    QNAP Turbo NAS TS-119P+

Total cost just over £300

Anyone have a better idea or experience with iTunes library on a NAS please advise.

Ca9

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Do you have a back up plan for your NAS? While many NAS units offer mirroring, this in of itself is not a solid back up option.

I use a Qnap as well, given my laptop has a small-ish SSD. I however back that up to other external drives as the loss of my music library and other files would be devastating.

3. ca9phoenix thread starter macrumors newbie

Storage wise i have...

500gb desktop drive
    500gb NAS (lacie)

trying to keep costs down by only having a 1 bay NAS and would perhaps keep a copy on my desktop drive which i would have to manage separately i.e back up once a month or so by copying the directories off the NAS.

not an ideal situation as i am sure to forget.

The lacie doesn't work at all as an iTunes server so it is used solely as storage for movies to stream to my tv.

does the Qnap give you seamless access to your iTunes library on all your devices?