NAS Backup to Encrypted USB External

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by blevins321, Jun 25, 2011.

1. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Hi all,

Here's what I'm trying to do. I recently have had to start storing proprietary information at home, and I need to employ some data redundancy. My setup is this: Synology NAS with approximately 2.5TB of data on it, 1x2TB USB External, 1x3TB USB external. 3 times a week, the Synology does an overnight of the important files to the 2TB that is always attached.

I'm wanting to keep a bi-weekly offsite backup using the 3TB drive. Crashplan or Mozy are out of consideration...cannot be server-based...as asinine as that is. I need the offsite backup to be encrypted, and I'd like it to be sort of automated. Having to 'babysit' 9 NAS shares as they sequentially finish copying to the encrypted sparsebundle that I made is quite annoying, especially when it takes hours for each share.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good workflow for what I'm wanting to do? I'm open to other encryption strategies if that makes a difference, although all the ones I know of (Truecrypt, etc...) all make it appear as a mounted disk image anyway. CarbonCopyCloner doesn't work when the source is a NAS, right? Thanks!

2. blevins321 thread starter macrumors 68030