NAS drive for a non-networked Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ginopiazza49, Dec 15, 2009.

1. ginopiazza49 macrumors member

Is there any advantage to having a NAS drive on a Minimac that is not on a network? I know that some NAS drives can be configured as RAID which I see as one advantage. Another advantage I see is that some drives, like the Iomega StorCenter ix2-200, can utilize cameras. It is not a big deal, however, I would not mind having a camera pointed toward the outside of my front door.

Having said all that, being that I would like a RAID (RAID 1 for redundancy) is it better to purchase a dedicated RAID rather than a NAS drive? Other than what I have written above, please point out the advantages, if any, of a NAS drive for a Minimac that is not on a network.

2. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

NAS drives cost more and are slower than regular drives, so Im not sure why you would want one in your situation.

A RAID can be configured with any 2 drives, doesnt have to be NAS.

Whats your budget? How much space do you want? Is this just for backup? Or storage?

Are you really sure you want/need a RAID?

3. ginopiazza49 thread starter macrumors member

The reason why I was thinking of RAID is that I have been burned twice with two disks that crashed on me (one was a Maxtor, I do not remember the other disk that crashed since it happened a pretty long time ago). However, RAID is not a "must." My budget is about $500. I would like at least 2 gigs.

I was also looking at the 2 TB version of Seagate FreeAgent Desk for Mac and the Western Digital My Book Studio Edition II.

4. milton.sheaf macrumors regular

A NAS storage device for a non-networked computer is just plain idiotic. Why put that awful slow (and terrible latency) TCP/IP layer in between you and your disks if you don't have to? There are plenty of nice fast firewire RAID enclosures to chose from that will cost less and perform better than any NAS device.

Some nice ones here: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/

Also, RAID is *NOT* a substitute for backups! Back up your data regularly if you don't want to lose it. Buy a nice external disk to use for backing up your data, and use it regularly. Weekly, even, if you create lots of new data each week.