NAS Drive help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Man9z0r, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Man9z0r macrumors regular

Man9z0r

I am wanting to buy a NAS drive for my house and wanted to know if anyone has a home NAS setup and what does it do for them? Also which one did you get and why?

I am looking to get one so I could be able to setup auto backup of the computers in my house, Would like to have a central storage of my iTunes library, backed up dvd's, and just local files. Right now I have a windows pc setup to host my iTunes library and movies but it is really old and I would just like to get rid of it. Is this even a good idea for a NAS drive?

The NAS drive I have been looking at right now is the Synology DiskStation 2-Bay (Diskless) Network Attached Storage DS211J. Does anyone have this one and would they recommend it for what I am trying to do?

Thanks for all of your help! :D

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

The Synology NAS's play very nicely with OSX & Window. I have a 110j and love it.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Synology is a great NAS unit and will work easily with both Macs and PCs.

I opted for a Qnap over synology because of the performance and preferred the interface (both synology and qnap offer demo systems to play with).

4. Man9z0r thread starter macrumors regular

Man9z0r

Hmm I actually never heard of Qnap before. Checked out their site and demo and they seem to really sync with Macs really well. Although their gui is not as easy as Synology. At least it doesn't seem from first impressions.

What do you use your NAS for and which one did you get?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I picked up the TS-219P+, based on what I read in reviews and user comments. I thought that it would be a better fit then synology.

Qnap seems to be a bit faster, its running linux which I'm familiar with. There's also more plug-ins available.

6. Man9z0r thread starter macrumors regular

Man9z0r

After a bunch of research today I am really starting to like the Qnap. Might not be as user friendly for my wife but seems like it will work very well for what I would like it to do.

7. kkleo macrumors newbie

8. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

I've been trying to decide between a 2-bay Synology and the Qnap TS-219P+ also.

I love that the Synology seems to have better mobile apps to do everything from managing the unit, remote wake/shutdown, file management in addition to the photo/music app resources and an awesome web-based interface. Oh and it has AirPlay compatible iTunes interface, which probably will be the kicker for me to choose the Synology.

But the Qnap has better hardware hands-down--drive insertion/removal without having to open the unit screws, lower power use, faster processor and file transfer, and now built-in antivirus checking.

I'd probably take the Synology to a DS211+, for the more comparable processing/file-transfer speeds & easy drive removal; but the debate between the Synology & Qnap TS-219P+ rages on.

I just don't know which to choose, really; trade-offs with both!

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You can't go wrong with either one. I opted for the QNAP TS-219P+ partly because I preferred the interface over Synology's. Since both vendors have a demo site of their software you get to try out some of the basic functions. Qnap's seemed a little more logically laid out and easier to use.

As for remote apps, I have not tried Qnap's yet but when I was doing my research I was under the impression that Qnap had a better set of apps, and more flexible use of setting up a cloud service.

The final differentiating factor was the hardware, I think for the money I'm getting a better product and so far I've not been disappointed.

One definite recommendation I can give, regardless of which unit you purchase. Get the hard drives that are on their compatibility list. It will save a lot of headaches if you buy one's that have been certified as compatible.

10. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

I have a Qnap, a Netgear and a Thecus, out of the three the Qnap is by far the fastest in terms of network performance. A friend dropped off his four bay Synology and while I like it, my Qnap is much faster. The synology lineup is great for sure, but in my opinion its worth spending the extra money for the Qnap, you won't be disappointed.