NAS Drive with thunderbolt

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dublinnic, Feb 4, 2014.

1. dublinnic macrumors newbie

Hi, I have an old macpro (2006) and am looking to upgrade to the new one. I have alot of internal HDs that will need to be moved to thunderbolt drives. My internal drives are currently backed up on NAS Seagate drives via a switch. I'm wondering if there is a thunderbolt drive that will connect to the new macpro AND connect to the network via the switch to be backed up on the NAS drives?
    thanks!!!

2. djarum69 macrumors newbie

Why would you want to do this? The external enclosure is attached to a Mac which could back everything up via Time Machine (or the solution of your choice) to the NAS. I think you are making this more complex than it needs to be.

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Yeah, I don't think you're going to find such a beast. You're either going to have the drives connected to the Mac (Direct Attached Storage) or connected to the network (Network Attached Storage), but not both.

If the drives are connected to the Mac, all you have to do is turn on File Sharing though the system settings and share the drives or folders you want - if you need network access to the data. Instant NAS (as far as other users on the network are concerned).