NAS Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cupertinonewbie, Jun 22, 2012.

1. cupertinonewbie macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Got my 2012 Air with 128 SSD. This is too small for my movie collection so i thought a NAS drive would be perfect. This is my first Mac so I am unsure if there are any compatibility issues with different hardware.

Ideally I would want to set up a time machine back up on this drive, and have my media streaming to my air. 1-2Tb is more than adequate and ideally I'd like to spend upto £120. I was about to pull the trigger on a 2tb WD live NAS drive but read negative reviews about its streaming so now I have this doubt in my head.

Any help, recommendations etc would be greatly appreciated. Any other questions please let me know!

Thanks in advance

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I'd recommend a USB 3.0 drive. It will be a lot faster.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you are going to with NAS, then up your budget for a good unit, either qnap or synology. I'd stay away from the generic nas units from western digital, seagate and even drobos. Lots of problems and incompatibilities.

If you're just looking for extra storage then an external usb based drive makes more sense and is closer to your budget.

4. laetusviator macrumors member

laetusviator

I was just about to post a similar question: I'm looking for recommendations for reliable NAS options (for home use, mostly photo & video storage). I was thinking of a drobo, but I've been reading really terrible reviews and comments about how unreliable they are.

Thanks maflynn for mentioning synology & qnap - will take a look at these.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No problem :)
    I have a qnap, and like it very much but I think synology is a bit more robust in terms of features and there's a few threads here about synology. I recommend reviewing those.

6. cupertinonewbie thread starter macrumors newbie

I was going to pull the trigger on the 2tb WD live but read a few too many negative reviews so didn't bother. Unfortunately, I finished working on Monday so can't afford to up the budget, maybe I can squeeze to £150 but I have seen some synology that are just the enclosures for 180+!

how about this one http://www.dabs.com/products/zyxel-...ttached-storage-7TLR.html?refs=52910000&src=3

----------

the speed of USB 3 is the only thing thats tempting me to getting one. I find it a bit of a headache having to go to my current external drives and connecting just to transfer a few things. The NAS drive would make it so much more convenient for myself, but if I cannot get a decent NAS within my budget, I will go for a USB 3.

7. Aniseedvan macrumors 65816

I am in the opposite camp, have a nas and no MBA, but will be ordering the latter soon!

I've got a synology, 2x1TB drives raid 0, currently only with about 250gb free (time to start removing those really old Lightroom backups I think).

Mine's been running for over a year just fine. Streams music around my house to sonos, I backup photos and the corresponding PS files, etc to it.
    Because I am paranoid (and do some paid photography) I use a 1 TB WD external drive as an offsite backup that lives at work.

Synology's website says it has full time machine support which is what I will use it for. Itunes on the pc happily points to the nas so will expect to do the same with the mac.

At some point I will get another to probably split the music from my photos and wouldn't hesitate to get another synology. Friend at work had the netstora which he had to send off to netgear and it corrupted his single drive. Extreme example but I am happy with mine.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

9. cupertinonewbie thread starter macrumors newbie

damn :( back to the drawing boards it is! thanks for the help :)