NAS Drives

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Oldmanmac, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Oldmanmac macrumors 6502

I'm looking for a backup dive. HGST gets good reviews. Finding 1 at B&H, it says NAS. Is that limiting the drives use? I mean, can 'I' put it in external enclosure and it be fine for me?

2. priitv8 macrumors 68020

I use my WD Red in a USB enclosure as always-on TimeMachine drive. Can't see what might be limiting there.
    NAS drives are better optimised for 24/7 use (according to WD - even mechanically). Those Firmware tweaks (e.g. NASWare) can be ignored outside Hardware-RAID-Controller realms.

3. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

No, it is not limiting the drive's use. You can put it in an external enclosure and it will be perfectly fine.

4. Oldmanmac thread starter macrumors 6502

That's good to know. I have bought wrong interface hd's before.LOL

5. ColdCase, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2015

ColdCase macrumors 68030

There is no difference in SATA interfaces or mounting/size between the three major drive types and they all work anywhere a 3.5 inch drive can be installed. Electrically a 2.5 inch SATA drive is the same, even the connectors, but there is that difference in physical size. One needs a big hammer to install a 3.5 drive in a 2.5 enclosure :)

A NAS drive is optimized for the vibration one finds in multi-bay enclosures and they compromise on performance in exchange for durability, 24/7 operation/ and low power consumption. They are typically 5400 rpms.

A Desktop type drive is optimized for a low stress computer where typically one drive is installed and used part time. They run the gamut in performance and are generally made for a cost target. They don't have all the vibration mitigations a NAS drive has but probably perform better performance wise. These are typically less money.

Enterprise drives are also tuned for multibay high performance high heat 24/7 use case environments. There are few if any performance compromises and offer sophisticated error control and life extending technologies. These typically cost more money and offer the best warrantees. These are now at least 7200 rpm, some 14000 rpm plus.

The advice is to never put a desktop type drive in a multi-drive enclosure, otherwise its your call.

6. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

I've put HGST Deskstar and Toshiba desktop drives in a RAID5 (Mercury Rack Pro) and Thunderbay IV. But after that, I bought Deskstar NAS drives for other enclosures. No problems with any of them so far.

7. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Over the last 6 months I've had several issues with HGST 4TB drives in HGST USB3 enclosures. I've had to RMA all four of them. And the replacements are not that friendly, they just don't like to wake from their naps. :)

My WD red and Seagate drives have been solid.... so your mileage will vary.