NAS, DroboShare and MS Office permissions problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by micah, Jul 9, 2008.

1. micah macrumors newbie

Not sure if this issue should go here or the networking forum, so I apologize if I'm in the wrong place.

I'm using a DroboShare at work as our shared server/backup deal and we can't open the same office document.

My boss wants to be able to open a document and have someone else open it at the same time but we're greeted with this error:

[​IMG]

This error occured when running 10.4.11 on both machines with Office 2004, when I try to open a document being used by Office 2004 on my machine with 10.5 I get this error:

[​IMG]

But what's super strange is that in finder it says I have the ability to read and write the file. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. dual64bit macrumors 6502

Some files/versions of Office don't allow users to have 1 file open in more than 1 location. It may depend on the disk formatting too.

If this happens to all files then only 1 user can have a file open, 2 users cannot open the same 1 file.

3. micah thread starter macrumors newbie

My boss keeps telling me it used to work on the LaCie they had before I was here (it should be noted that i'm a graphic designer, not an IT manager, so forgive my ignorance) apparently it would just open as a read only file but multiple users could have the same file open.

It works fine with Adobe Illustrator, so I'm wondering, should the drive be reformatted in something other than HFS+ ?

4. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

It's program dependent. I have AutoCAD and if I want to open a drawing that a colleague has open I am given the option to open a Read Only file. When he closes his copy a message pops up telling me. I don't think MS Office files allow you to do this otherwise which copy takes precedent? I wouldn't think the drive has anything to do with it.