Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andywt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
I recently added a Promise NAS to my network to host a number of large files that had previously been on a PC mapped drive. A number of these files are .iso file. The mapped drive on the PC was accessible from my Mac. When I double-clicked one of the .iso files it mounted it on my Mac desktop and everything worked fine.

When I do the same from the NAS, I am getting an error message "the document x.iso can't be opened. The file is too large." Any ideas why this is occuring?

andywt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
No. The NAS is actually a Linux box. The Windows shared folder was on a NTFS disk system.

Sethable

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
is the has using fat 32 to try to stay compatible across platform. If so you can't go over something like a 4 gig file. It happened to me in the past.

andywt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
It is a standard Linux file system. I believe it use Samba to allow PCs to mount it. The file over 4GB are there. I can mount them from the NAs on a Windows box, but not on the Mac. :confused:

Sethable

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
That's no fun.
Sorry I don't have any other answers for you then. looks like your stuck copying the file to the mac first.

silly question. do u have free disk space on your mac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.