NAS for mac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gngan, Jun 2, 2013.

1. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I just bought a DS213 with 2 x 2tb but not sure how to set it up.

I want to set it up as 1 hdd with 2 partitions. Each partitions will be used as TM for 2 MBP.

The other hdd will be for NAS stuff and an external 1 TB for files back up.

Can someone point me to the right direction?

Do i have to format it to Journal? If yes then how do i do it?

2. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

The very, very, very best advice I can give you?! Join the support forums of Synology!

In Holland we have a very proffessional, steap learning curve, great peoples forum! As a 'new' owner of a DS1812+ got my setup working very fast with the help of the guides and directions on this forum!

http://www.synology-forum.nl/

They have both supports for all common OS-platforms.

Synology forums a absolute WINNER!

http://forum.synology.com/enu/

Go check it out, AND....

Happy NASSING to you!

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have a couple of questions regarding your setup.
    Why set up different partitions for Time Machine, does Synology suppert multiple time machine backups on one volume?

Looks like you you're not going with a RAID setup, thus you lose one of the potential benefits of NAS (mirroring).

I can't comment on Synology in detail but for my QNAP, I RAIDED the two drives, created one partition and then created a number of shares. That software also allowed me to run Time Machine on multiple computers.

Basically, I went with the simplest setup but it offers me some data protection with mirroring and I use TM, plus share points for my data.

4. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

The Syno has a RAID and/or SHR (easy expandable 'raid') setup otions!

For further info, guidelines and directions I would urge OP to subscribe to the Synology forum, because he HAS a Synology!

Have a happy TweakDay!!!

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I know, but I'm asking the OP why he's not going with that option. While asking specific technical help at the synology forum maybe needed, asking what he asked is fine here at MacRumors as well.

6. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

No prob ofcourse! And that's NOT what I meant.....

Before everybody here goes around telling her/him all the (very confusing) stuff about all other NAS equipment around the world, she/he should get in touch with those who understand the Synology NAS.

That got me and my Syno NAS up-and-running in a very comfortable and at-ease way! Setting up a NAS is better done in the NO trial-and-error mode, imo!

Specially for critical data.....

Cheers! ;-)

7. sofian macrumors newbie

I have been using QNAP NAS for many years and it is fantastic! Never used a Syno NAS but it seems the performance of SHR is somehow lower than the standard RAID, and Drobo seems to have similar problem, is that true?

8. Lance-AR macrumors 6502

For performance the Synology offers standard RAID. SHR is a performance hit but it allows you greater control mixing different sized disks. Older Drobos were slow due to CPU but I believe that has been resolved. SHR and Drobo are both proprietary file systems.