NAS for Macs

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Atomicfission92, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Atomicfission92 macrumors regular

Hey all,

I am trying to find a NAS that I can hook up to my Wireless N router that I can use with Mac OS X.

How can I set it up so that I can use it with my MBP and with other window PC's.

And what NAS's are compatible with the OS X hdd formatting?

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

A Network-Attached-Storage device usually shares by means of SMB or AFP. It does not matter how the NAS is formatted. Any NAS should work for you. It would be better if you could find one that will support both AFP and SMB.

3. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

As brand said, almost any NAS will work with the Mac, but Time Machine compatibility is only assured with Time Crapsule and the new HP MediaSmart Windows Home Server device. The choice depends on your budget and your needs such as data redundancy: Generally speaking the cheaper they are, the slower they are communicating over the network - regardless of whether they advertise a gigabit interface.

4. blodwyn macrumors 65816

My DNS-323 is pretty good. I have it set as a RAID 1 mirror and use it with both Mac's and a PC (Windows and Ubuntu). Performance is pretty good on a 1Gbps setup. Pretty much every NAS out there uses an embedded Linux OS, and formats the drives with an ext2 or ext3 filesystem, I'm not aware of any that will let you format with HFS+.

5. Atomicfission92 thread starter macrumors regular

That was actually what I was looking for.

What do you think about this one?

LINKSYS NAS200

6. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Looks like it's only 100Mbps so depends on whether that's good enough for your purposes. I hate waiting around for data transfers so the extra $$$ for the DNS-323 would be worth it for me.