NAS for OSX Lion

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cathy88, Apr 5, 2012.

1. cathy88 macrumors member

Hi guys,

I currently own a Macpower Pleiades Gigalan NAS which used to work perfectly for up to Snow Leopard. After upgrading to OSX Lion I realised I can no longer connect to it. Simply it wont show up on the finder side bar anymore due to the change in protocol. Unfortunately Macpower is not providing any firmware update for this.

Currently looking at buying a new NAS and have looked at the Snyology DS212j. My question is does this one work with OSX Lion?

My requirement is basic I want:
    1. Able to connect to it via OSX Lion through the finder side bar (I used to use SMB)
    2. Possibly have Timemachine

Thanks

2. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I have a DS211 that works perfectly with Lion, so the DS212j should not have any issues. Just make sure you're using the latest firmware update.

3. MiamiC70 macrumors regular

Get a Synology...
    I went through same issues with Lacie product and finally had to just get rid of it as Lacie would not step up and address the incompatibility with OSX Lion via firmware. Loving the Synology, works great is fast and can use it with time machine.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Synology supports Lion including Time Machine. I have a DS212j excellent.

5. cathy88 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys.

Im most likely going to get it then. One more question is it a waste if I buy the DS212J and I dont use raid? I.e. I will have 2x2tb = 4tb total space rather then mirroring for backup?

Should I just buy 2 single slots?

Thanks