NAS for rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PS65, Jun 17, 2012.

1. PS65 macrumors 6502

Guys, need some guidance/help with this one. Whilst I am normally pretty switched on with general computing, I have zero experience here.

I am about to sell my late 2011 MBP which has a 750gb HDD for the base 2012 rMBP.

Now, for me, the reduction is size is the main thing (I am willing to pay money for that). However, I have used about 500gb of space. What are my options?

1. Portable HDD (not preferred)
    2. Network Storage (Preferred, but please can someone explain how I can access this drive from another location - i.e.. via the net).
    3. Any other ideas?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Synology NAS, external access via WebDAV & optionally VPN.

3. iPhone Addict macrumors 6502

Another vote for a Synology box. I have the DS1512+ and love it. Super fast speeds and tons of storage. And then of course there's all the other cool software apps that Synology throws in for free.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I went from a 110j to 212j to currently setting up a 412+

Just great NAS's

5. PS65 thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome, that is the exact type of storage solution I was looking for. Does this drain your ISP usage allowance, or does it use the wireless signal if you're on the network?

6. blevins321 macrumors 68030

It'll only count against you if you're doing stuff outside of your home network. Anything internal wont count against a bandwidth restriction.

7. NetJunkie macrumors newbie

Synology fan here too. I have four of them sitting in front of me for different things and they work great in a Mac house. Really good Time Machine targets and they just released their cloud file sync client for Mac, too.

8. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I have a Synology for home. It would be great for home usage. As others have said, when you are connected on the same LAN, it won't use bandwidth. However, for anything on the go, you may want to get a portable USB 3 hard drive. I would not want to rely on connecting over the Internet to access content all the time when away.

9. Lagmonster macrumors 6502

ReadyNas fan here but any of the "better" vendors will offer much of the same. Remote access, TimeMachine, etc.

10. cruggles macrumors regular

11. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

The advice above is excellent.

The NAS unit I use is made by Synology, google them for the product choices. I use an expandable model with 6 HDD's. It's served my needs with six computers and a server on my network, quite reliably. While a bit pricey, the seamless trouble free operation is worth it.

12. machomer macrumors regular

I have the ds212j and it takes a very long time for Time Machine to do a back up, even with small MB changes. I'm doing the back up wirelessly. Am I missing something from the setup to have faster speeds?

13. mattkidd macrumors regular

mattkidd

Synology appears to have the best features, planning on using one for iTunes storage.... Does anyone have experience in doing this?

The wireless is likely the problem, use a gigabit ethernet connection should backup much faster!

14. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

Synology!

I absouluty love mine. Best investment ever. Best interface. Easy to use, gets updated often.

I have sabnzbd, sickbeard and couchpotato on mine. Its incredible with xbmc on the mac mini connected to the TV.

15. machomer macrumors regular

are you suggesting that I connect my computer with an ethernet connection to the router?

Been looking at the new rMBP, does this mean someone would need the ethernet adapter for it to work?

Thanks for the info

16. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

Thunderbolt adapter has gigabit, so it wouldnt be a problem. backing up trough wireless is very slow.

Remember also you need to have a gigabit router.

17. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

If you want to pay the same price for worse specifications, then you can get the QNAP instead of the Synology. I did a lot of research before I bought my Synology DS1511+ and a QNAP model with similar specs would have been a fair bit more.

18. eric44 macrumors member

Just ordered a synology ds212 today with two 2tb WD drives.
    expecting this to be a blinding bit of kit...
    Will be using it over N wifi though, if it's slow then I can always move to ac wifi in a year or so.
    my plan was to get a rMBP next year with ac wifi, here's hoping!

19. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

20. PS65 thread starter macrumors 6502

21. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I wrote a Synology review and posted it here on Macrumors. Search for DS411j honest review. They're terrific :)

22. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

The DS411 costs like $500 without the harddrives. Furthermore the experience will never be as seamless as having a drive in your notebook or even as seamless as dropbox. And I don't know about you guys but have a huge plastic black box in my room is not a pretty sight.

Taking all these factors in account and $1000 extra for the 768gb ssd suddenly seems like a much better deal than a NAS.

23. PS65 thread starter macrumors 6502

So where is a 768GB SDD option on the rMBP, how can you upgrade it....and does the cheaper NAS which is roughly £200 for a 2TB drive form part of your argument?

24. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

Ehm. Have u ever had a NAS? IT shows up in your finder under shared. Press it. There is your folders (for example movies tv music etc). Its like having it on your mac. Just a weird comment. Dont need to copy the files from the nas to your mac, since you can just stream it. Huge? The 2bay nas servers from synology are tiny, and uses almost no power.

Dunno what you are talking about.

25. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

Instead of just paying extra £400 for a 512Gb SSD or extra £800 for a 768Gb one, you're forced to pay additional £100 for an upgraded 2.6Ghz CPU. It's not the worst price and certainly not a disaster, but you don't have other options even if you don't need faster CPU. In other words, see upgrade option for a 2.6Ghz model and compare prices.