NAS Media server Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by maflynn, Jul 11, 2011.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I just picked up 2TB BlackArmor NAS 220 and it appears to be a decent selection. Easy to set up and works well enough.

I just copied my music library over to a share on the drive and set up media streaming. Is there any reason to keep the music on my Mac at this point? I assume I''ll need to rebuild the playlists to point to the music on the BlackArmor device.

Also will there be any issues syncing my phone and itunes if I keep my music on the NAS? That is will the music come over fine or are there constraints with syncing with a media server?

The only disappointment I have at the moment is that Aperture's Library will not support being hosted on the NAS. I guess I should have done more research before pulling the trigger. I got the drive to back up my wife's PeeCee as well so the need was there.

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

iTunes could have moved the files over itself using the Consolidate Library step. Since you already moved it, try moving your Mac-side music collection to a random non-sub folder (to your desktop, so iTunes can't find it). Then try to play a song. It'll say that it can't find the file, and ask you to browse to it. iTunes then should take a few minutes to Update Library by itself to relink according to the old directory structure. Make sure to change the iTunes folder location to the NAS location in Preferences.

Edit: For the syncing questions, no there shouldn't be any difference.

As far as Aperture, I have my entire library (not just masters) stored on my NAS. What problems were you having when you tried this?

3. maflynn, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011

maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The problem with aperture is I get the following error:
    "The library could not open because the file system of the Library's volume is unsupported"

I'm wondering as a way around this, if I can create a disk image and place my library in the dmg

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Hmm. What protocol are you using to connect to your NAS - AFP, SMB?

5. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not sure, using seagate's own black armor app to mount the drive. I'm assuming it's smb. Let me see if I can try afp

6. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Sounds really obvious, but check the file system your NAS is using. Aperture only allows HFS+ volumes (ie: default Mac), but lots of NAS boxes either use a custom file system or NTFS.

7. maflynn, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011

maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's what I was thinking. The software doesn't really allow me to check the format. I'll do more googling to see what options I have with this particular device.

I think I'm just going to box this up and get one that is more flexible. I've been doing more reading on this stuff and it looks like I want to get either a QNAP (a bit pricey) or Synology

I'm liking the QNAP but I think that might be over-kill and its going to run me 350 where as the synology is 199.