NAS or external hard drive enclosure?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ritte, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Ritte macrumors regular

Hi, I need more storage for my media server and I'm thinking of either buying a NAS (Synergi ds213j) or a hard drive enclosure.
    As I understand the benefits of the NAS is network connection and it can operate by itself without a computer.
    This particular nas only have two slots for hard drive, that's a disadvantage.

The other option is to buy a hard drive enclosure and connect to my APE. Main advantage is 5 hdd slots and disadvantage is usb-speeds.

As I said I'm looking for a storage to store music and movies. Will do some backups to.
    I'm using superduper (smart update) when backing up and it's fairly quick now, on usb-speeds.

The NAS costs about 90 USD more.
    What's your advice?

2. priitv8 macrumors 68020

I really don't see how a APX USB connection could give you a 5-drive benefit. NAS at least can give you some hardware redundancy (RAID), whereas APX+USB drive gives you none.
    Also, as a file server, the APX with USB 2.0 drive(s) is not a performer to write home about.

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Which enclosure are you considering for this?

Sort out your priorities. What's most important? What's least important?

There's cost, performance, storage space/number of drives. Any other considerations? Does RAID not matter? Does any of the other functionality of the NAS not matter? Is there only one client machine?