NAS purchase help

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AppleDApp, Jul 16, 2011.

1. AppleDApp, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2011

AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

I might be selling my PC which I only really used for web surfing, backup and downloading torrents 24/7.

I will keep the hard drives that were in the case. The drives are formatted to NTFS which to my knowledge cannot be read by OS X. I need to find an enclosure that I can connect to my router or MBP that will download torrents & backup my computer and stream media to my xbox. Seems like I will need to format my drives as well could I boot into bootcamp and format the drives there?

Can anyone suggest something?

The biggest thing that I cannot stress enough is that I already have data on one drive and a backup of it on the other

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

For the love of God, man, put the mouse down and get some sleep! :eek:

OS X can read, but not write, NTFS right out of the box. Third-party software will enable writing.

Any USB enclosure should work. Like I said, OS X will read the data. Once you recover your data, if you plan to use the external disks exclusively from the Mac side, it might be a good idea to reformat them.

3. AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

I haven't touched my mouse in a while they just download automatically.

Do you know of any?

I will reformat the drive afterwards.

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Have you thought about a NAS at all? My Synology will download torrents also serve up media to iTunes, DLNA, and XBMC clients without a computer. Their 2-bay is very reasonable, and the software really is wonderful. I wrote a review about them HERE. And HERE is a link to the DS211j on Amazon. You'll have to reformat the drives at EXT4 for redundancy (protection if one drive dies), but the NAS will take care of that for you.

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

No, I've never used any. But I'm sure Google (or the MacRumors forums) will turn something up.

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Be careful with a NAS. You may have to format the drives in order for them to work with the NAS software or OS, which is fine after you've recovered the data from them.

8. AppleDApp, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011

AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

will the iTunes server functionalities work with ATV?
    The only way I can move data from windows now is if I format one drive to put it in the nas move everything from the 2nd drive to the first formatted drive then format the 2nd drive.

I'm looking at a 4 bay enclosure which I can use connected to my computer (not router) to them stream everything to my xbox and other devices.

These are the models of interest:
    Synology DS411+II DS410 DS411j

Comments?