NAS server for MAC and Windows together

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kanu2k9, Dec 5, 2008.

1. kanu2k9 macrumors newbie

Hey guys!!!
    Well i have a question about MACs.
    ok i am about to purchase a NAS server (Buffalo Linkstation Pro Duo).
    I have a network consisting of 5 MACs an 2 PC and many laptops (mostly windows) connecting wireless through my adsl roulter. MACs and PCs are connected thru a switch which is then connected to the router. all this is done to share internet only. but now i want users to use this NAS server to save their files so that it can be easily accessible from anywhere. can this be possible with mac to map the network drive with fat32 formatting so that it can also be accessed from windows.

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Since that NAS shares files over SMB, you can easily "map" a Mac to it - just use the Finder -> Go, enter smb://<hostname or ip address>/<share> ... the hostname and share are just the same as what you enter in \\<hostname or ip address>\<share> on Windows. The format of the drive isn't important when accessing it over smb.

If you want the NAS to be mounted automatically on login, drag the mounted drive into the account's login items after connecting.

Just for information - other NAS's also support AFP along side SMB, which is a better protocol for Mac sharing.

3. kanu2k9 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. kanu2k9 thread starter macrumors newbie

can you explain this step by step!!
    thank you

5. dublinmark1967 macrumors newbie

nas hd

I was having the same issue, thanks for the instructions.

kanu2k9- go to the System Preferences > System Section > Accounts. Click on your account, and the page should change. Click on Login Items ( next to password). There will be a table on the page. click the + at the bottom of the page to add an item. Finder will open. Select the shared drive on the left and click Add button at the bottom of the page. This should do it.