NAS solutions / routers /switches

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by digitaldean, May 13, 2007.

1. digitaldean macrumors member

I am batting ideas around for a fileserver / FTP server solution for a small publishing company. Got some great responses from a previous thread on setting up an older Mac as file/FTP server.

Since then, I have been doing some research on different NAS devices. I am looking to have this be the main file server (preferably using RAID with at least 3 drives) for 3-4 users to access/edit/save hi-res images and layouts and an FTP server. Optimally would like to set up a VPN so I could access this remotely for getting necessary files while on the road. Any experiences, positive or negative on this?

If I am better off in the long run setting up a Linux box with a RAID setup, that's fine.

Any advice on the best routers and switches? Will be getting broadband cable access and running the cable to a router then to the a switch and NAS device. (trying to plan for future growth as much as possible without hamstringing my IT budget). Wireless not a necessity for the building we are moving into.

2. kbonnel macrumors 6502

I use a Infrant ReadyNas 600 device, and love it. Good support, nice features, and I don't spend too much time keeping it up and running. (I used to run a Linux NAS, but I kept playing around with it, and as a result I kept breaking it :) ).

You can get used ReadyNas devices in their marketplace for a good price, and their x-raid feature is cool.

Kimo