NAS Storage - Drobo or HP MediaSmart Server?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by warning9, Aug 29, 2009.

1. warning9 macrumors newbie

2. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

I have a homebuilt WHS, and I will be replacing it soon as I just don't use the features on it (I don't use Windows anymore) and it takes up too much space, uses too much electricity and is too big and noisy. Plus I can't easily use it with TM.

I also looked at the Drobo and Droboshare, but after reading about the problems people were having as well as the fact they provide gigabit ethernet for connectivity but then bottleneck it be using the USB interface to connect to the Drobo was crap. Also didn't like how it worked basically i.e. having to power it off to switch between DAS and NAS mode.

I am going to get the Netgear ReadNAS NV+. Has got Mac software made for it, built-in gigabit ethernet, has a similar RAID technology and working, provides better remote access functionality and although it doesn't look as good as the Drobo, still looks cool IMO. Plus I think it is a bit cheaper and has got built-in TM support

3. warning9 thread starter macrumors newbie

Now I'm thinking maybe a Drobo with a PogoPlug or airport extreme instead of a droboshare. The ReadyNAS looks interesting, let us know how it goes after you buy it.

4. Mhaddy macrumors 6502

Mhaddy

You got me all excited for the NV+ until I saw how much it was :(

5. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

I have a Drobo, and I LOVE it, in fact I'm thinking about buying a second one.

6. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

It's £20 more expensive that Drobo with a "free droboshare etc" on one site I looked at

There is still the possible bottleneck of the USB interface, but ultimately's its whatever you are happy with. PogoPlug sounds pretty cool. In comparison with Drobo, there is a third party app to allow this functionality. With the ReadyNAS, there is a dashboard for Mac that basically just makes the ReadyNAS appear in Finder as though it was local