NAS Storage, Edit Suites and 10.5

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rugbyboy, Jun 10, 2008.

1. rugbyboy macrumors member

rugbyboy

Ahoy,

I look after the (Mac only) network at the advertising company I /work for because I understand a little bit more than everyone else. This is a very patchy knowledge but it works as we're small and don't require much.

Ny question is this: I have been interested in a NAS as we have a Final Cut based edit suite and are thinking of getting another. If I was to use a NAS drive for backup and to hold project backups would I be right in saying both computers could access this easily? Would the speed of the drive over an 10 base ethernet network be god enough? Bear in mind that the drive will onyl be used to hold project files which would be updated every night. The actual editing, rendering etc would all be done on the (quite large) drives in each computer.

I have always read that NAS and OS X are shaky bedfellows.

What do I need to make sure the NAS has to know it'll play nicely?

FYI I was looking at the Freecom Network Drive Pro 1TB Gigabit LAN

1,000 thank yous...

Ben

P.s. My bosses hate spending money on new technology. its like blood form a stone so things like Final Cut Server are not within my budget...

2. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

My personal advice would be to get something like an Icybox NAS4220.

It offers a variety of different built in servers and can also be accessed off site via FTP (providing you set up FTP access on it of course).

Although it doesnt come with drives in it, it leaves you to put whatever drives you choose in it, and you can RAID them as you wish (you can set it up to make one drive do an automatic copy of the other drive, or you can have 2 x 1TB drives and RAID them to make a 2TB drive (or drive capacities of your choice).

3. rugbyboy thread starter macrumors member

rugbyboy

Hi there

Thanks for the tip - looks very good!

Is it fairly easy to administrate and use given my network knowledge is not too shabby but not advanced?

Ben

4. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Yeah, they're fairly easy. From what I remember, it's a web based setup similar to that of a broadband router. I'm not network savvy at all (doing an IT degree and only really touched on networks so far) and I managed to administrate it amongst my computers :)

5. rugbyboy thread starter macrumors member

rugbyboy

I bought it :)

Thanks for advice

Ben

6. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Hey :) Nice one :)

If you need any advice setting it up, let me know.
    Gaz

7. g5-john macrumors newbie

Getting share to work nas 4220 with mac

Hello,
    Ive just got an icybox 4220
    Ive installed the harddrives and all is good with that.
    I had a fidle and enabled all sharing and used the public share folder with allowing access to all etc.
    Basically i still think my setting up of the share is wrong.

Basically all i want is to share the entire contents of the drives onto my mac computer.

Problem 1. Using the finder i click the nas in the shared tab and it cannot connect says... "connection failed"

Problem 2. Looking through the wiki i found that i could goto terminal and use....
    mkdir ~/Desktop/NAS-SHARE
    sudo mount_nfs -P NASIP:/mnt/md1/public ~/Desktop/NAS-PUBLIC
    # sudo-Password is your local Mac-Password!!!!
    This seemed great and added a share on the desktop however i can coppy
    Accross folders with files in but if i say coppy a .zip file or .rar file over it says
    i do not have permision and gives an error code 36.

Any help on how to setup a simple share of the whole contents onto mac with
    no security as its local only. i would love the help.

Many thanks
    Gareth