NAS straight to MBP- Easiest way?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JohnnyComeLatly, May 1, 2013.

1. JohnnyComeLatly macrumors member

Unfortunately, best laid plans are the first to fail. I'm remotely deployed overseas, and I'm trying to set up a media server for the wife. I had a Lacie with built in DLNA shipped to my location. I made sure it was DHCP enabled. DLNA worked, gave it an easy name ("Media Server") and even made a You Tube video which showed how to hook up the NAS to the Wifi Router.

Well, this seems to be too much for the wife (1 RJ45 plug, and two power cables: WIFI router and NAS drive). She wants to just connect the NAS straight to the MBP, which renders the AppleTV, two iPads, and iPhone 5 unable, which was my original intent :eek:

That said, what's the easiest, for a completely non-technical person to get a MBP, 2008-build so it's not 10.8 OS, to recognize the drive?

Thanks!

2. Ifti macrumors 68000

It needs to go through a network - no other way round it.
    Maybe a small hub - connect the NAS and MBP into the hub for an [almost] direct connection?

3. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

As the other poster says, it's not possible to connect directly. What's her problem ? Is it connecting cables or is it recognising what cable does what ? Can you try using FaceTime for a pseudo-real time walk-through using 2 iPhones (e.g.) ?

4. monsieurpaul macrumors regular

Ask her to install Teamviewer and do the install yourself from abroad.

This soft really saves me a lot of time and hassle when dealing with family's computer problems.

5. JohnnyComeLatly thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. I thought it was the case but wasn't sure.

Yes, the issue is simply plugging two wall plugs (power for router and NAS), and plugging in a single RJ-45 (from NAS to Router). It's only got one plug on the back (RJ45), and one button (power).

I thought that would be the easy part and only thought the issue would be getting her to set a wifi password so the neighbors don't get a new, free media server as well.

Never underestimate the power of doubting your own abilities.

6. meistervu macrumors 65816

Time to call a friend?

It would take 5 minutes.

7. ColdCase macrumors 68030

What area of the country? Perhaps someone here would volunteer to help.

8. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Pretty much all routers come with passwords preconfigured, which are printed onto a sticker on the bottom of the unit. You just plug it into your modem(?), NAS and the wall plug, and wirelessly connect the Mac to it.

9. mslide macrumors 6502a

The easiest way is to just forget about all that stuff until you get home and are able to be there if/when the setup stops working. In the meantime, call up the cable company and have her watch TV the old school way. She might even prefer it that way.

I just think you're asking for fights by having her do this stuff without you there :)