Resolved NAS to iMac to Network - How?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by NissarK, May 26, 2018.

1. NissarK macrumors newbie

NissarK

Hi,

I have my WD MyCloud NAS drive connected to my iMac using an Ethernet cable through a Thunderbolt Ethernet Adapter to one of the iMac's Thunderbolt ports.

I have shared my iMac's Internet connection (Wired Connection / Ethernet) through Internet Sharing to the Thunderbolt Ethernet Port, so that my WD MyCloud NAS drive has Internet access. So far so good.

However, I am not able to connect to this WD MyCloud NAS drive from another computer on my network (Microsoft Surface Pro with Windows 10 Latest Build).

My iMac's ethernet connection has an IP called something like 192.168.1.XX on the network / router. The WD MyCloud NAS drive has been assigned an IP by the iMac called 192.168.2.2 and I can access my files and the dashboard by typing this in the address bar.

I did manage at some point to make it work on my old Surface Pro, but then my the computer crashed for other reasons and now I have fixed it and cannot seem to make it work again. I don't remember how I did it.

Hope you can help?

Thanks!

Br,
    Nissar

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Why are you trying to do it like that? Connect the NAS drive to an Ethernet port on your router then it's accessible to the entire local network.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

What he said. It's a NAS, Network Attacked Storage. Not iMac Attached Storage.

4. NissarK thread starter macrumors newbie

NissarK

I already have another WD MyCloud EX2 connected to my router. This one I want to attach directly to my iMac and use it as an external drive, but also be available on my network. I am doing this on purpose :)

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

A NAS is essentially an external drive, accessible via the network.

6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Sorry, but that makes no sense. You're adding a load of complexity where it's not required.

7. NissarK thread starter macrumors newbie

NissarK

Hey guys,
    I know about the complexity, and I understand why you might wonder. But I have my reasons. I just want to know how it is done.

One of the reasons is that I have loads of data on this WD My Cloud drive (which is my first ever NAS) that I want to "go through" and see if they are useful or no... We are talking about terabytes of photos and videos from my photography work, which I then want to sort and archive on my WD My Cloud EX2 NAS which is plugged into the router. The WD My Cloud was originally plugged to the router, and I tried this but it took ages to transfer data to the iMac over the network and then from there to the EX2. Having it connected directly to the iMac does make things go faster!

So.... All I want to know is if the setup is possible, not if it makes sense or no :)

Eventually, I'll only be using the router setup once things have been cleared up...!

Thanks!

8. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I don't think it can be done. If you've got performance problems look at using cabled gigabit connections if you're currently on Wi-Fi.

9. NissarK thread starter macrumors newbie

NissarK

I am indeed using ONLY cable. WiFi is only used at my place for smartphones and tablets. EVERYTHING else is wired with CAT6 cables.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What's the purpose?

11. techwarrior macrumors 65816

techwarrior

Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) makes your Mac a NAT "router". The NAS has an address on a different subnet that the rest of the network, therefor, it is as inaccessible as your primary NAS is from the Internet (without sync apps designed to work through NAT).

I see no purpose for what you are attempting to do, a network storage device will be just as fast when connecting from the LAN as it will through the setup you are attempting. Just pug it in to the router an be done with it.

12. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Exactly...

I started to type the same thing then realised I was probably wasting my keystrokes...

13. NissarK thread starter macrumors newbie

NissarK

--- Post Merged, May 27, 2018 ---
    No need to have an attitude. I am asking since I managed to make it work at some point, so it is possible. I just don't remember how...

14. sevoneone macrumors 6502

You don't want internet sharing, internet sharing turns your Mac into a router and adds NAT between the two sides of the network. You want to create a Bridge, that will let packets from one connection pass freely to the other. Try this, add the two Ethernet connections to the bridge, and your NAS should be able to talk to the rest of your network as if it was just attached to the router: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25775?locale=en_US

The other thing you could do is take a look at why the NAS is slower when connected to the router. The probable reason is that the router only has ports capable of a 100mbps connection while your NAS, iMac and Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter have 1000mbps (gigabit).

A couple of solves for that:

1) Replace the router with something that has gigabit LAN ports. Depending on your ISP and plan, your router could even be preventing you from reaching the broadband speed you are paying for. If you're paying for 150mbps internet and your router's ports are limited to 100mbps, no single device on your network will ever be capable of reaching the top speed.

2) Buy a gigabit switch and attach all of your LAN devices to ports on it and then attach one port to your router. Your link out to the internet will still be limited to a max of 100mbps, but your local devices will be able to communicate at gigabit speeds.

15. NissarK thread starter macrumors newbie

NissarK

YOU, my friend, are a great person!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

IT WORKED! I had tried previously tried that link from Apple you posted, but since Internet Sharing was on, I couldn't get it to work! I turned off Internet Sharing and boom.... Firing in all cylinders now!

Have a pleasant day!

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I gave you no attitude, I simply asked what was the purpose, you didn't provide it and I'm curious as to know why you want a NAS connected directly to a computer and then make it accessible to other computers