Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
How long does it take for you to copy about 12GB wirelessly over a N network to a NAS attached to your router?

For me (Granted its over G because I don't have a N card), it takes close to 5 hours for 12GB :O. Is it supposed to take that long or what?

Guiyon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2008
Cambridge, MA
How long does it take for you to copy about 12GB wirelessly over a N network to a NAS attached to your router?

For me (Granted its over G because I don't have a N card), it takes close to 5 hours for 12GB :O. Is it supposed to take that long or what?

That is a bit slow (if my math is right it comes out to about 700KB/s) but it also depends what other devices are on the WLAN and also the type of NAS device. With most consumer WiFi network routers, the highest possible speed of the network is the speed of the slowest device; if a B joins a G network, the network drops to B speed. The maximum bandwith (in your case, 6.75MB/s), minus overhead due to both protocol and interference, is also split over the total number of devices. Many off the shelf NAS devices also tend to be woefully underpowered in terms of CPU (LaCie, I'm looking at YOU!).

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
Over wireless N from across the house and 2 floors down, I get about 1.5 - 2.0 MB per second from a ReadyNAS NV+ wired to an AEBS to an iMac. My Macbook Air ranges from 4 - 7MB / sec. for some reason (better wireless card?).

So Approx. 100 Minutes for the iMac. I routinely transfer 2+ GB files in about 15-20 minutes so that's a pretty good estimate.

Flash SWT

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
Houston, TX
I think your slowdown here in the wireless connection not the NAS. Try it hardwired just to compare the speed and you'll know if the NAS is the problem or the wireless.

I transferred something like 50 Gigs of photos from an iMac to my older ReadyNAS 600 using Gigabit Ethernet last night in like 45 minutes or something. (I wasn't timing it.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.