NAS Transfer speeds?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by fireshot91, Apr 18, 2009.

1. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

How long does it take for you to copy about 12GB wirelessly over a N network to a NAS attached to your router?

For me (Granted its over G because I don't have a N card), it takes close to 5 hours for 12GB :O. Is it supposed to take that long or what?

2. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

That is a bit slow (if my math is right it comes out to about 700KB/s) but it also depends what other devices are on the WLAN and also the type of NAS device. With most consumer WiFi network routers, the highest possible speed of the network is the speed of the slowest device; if a B joins a G network, the network drops to B speed. The maximum bandwith (in your case, 6.75MB/s), minus overhead due to both protocol and interference, is also split over the total number of devices. Many off the shelf NAS devices also tend to be woefully underpowered in terms of CPU (LaCie, I'm looking at YOU!).

3. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

I have http://www.thecus.com/products_over.php?cid=10&pid=77
    That as my NAS device.

It has 2 WD 1TB 7200RPM drives in it.
    The slowest thing that was powered on during my time on the network was my computer.
    iPhone was in Sleep mode, my brothers computer has N. No other devices to my knowledge were on the network (Its secured with WPA2).

4. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Over wireless N from across the house and 2 floors down, I get about 1.5 - 2.0 MB per second from a ReadyNAS NV+ wired to an AEBS to an iMac. My Macbook Air ranges from 4 - 7MB / sec. for some reason (better wireless card?).

So Approx. 100 Minutes for the iMac. I routinely transfer 2+ GB files in about 15-20 minutes so that's a pretty good estimate.

5. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

I think your slowdown here in the wireless connection not the NAS. Try it hardwired just to compare the speed and you'll know if the NAS is the problem or the wireless.

I transferred something like 50 Gigs of photos from an iMac to my older ReadyNAS 600 using Gigabit Ethernet last night in like 45 minutes or something. (I wasn't timing it.)