NAS vs TimeCapsule for backup and non-backup storage

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DutchguyJoost, Apr 20, 2014.

1. DutchguyJoost macrumors newbie

I have > 1 TB of photos and music on my (Windows) desktop. I want to replace my desktop by a MacBook Pro and move all of the photos and music to a network storage, preferably in RAID, so I can access them from everywhere in the house (e.g. using a Sonos system to play the music).

I also want to arrange for a backup of the content of my MBP to be made on a network disk on regular intervals.

So the network storage should contain (1) a backup of my MBP, and (2) directly readable files that are not stored/backed-up on a computer (I cannot fit > 1 TB of photos and music on a MBP flash drive).

Would you recommend me to buy a TimeCapsule for the MBP backup and a NAS (for example from Synology) for the photos/music, or would it be more convenient to use either a TC or a NAS for both purposes?

Thank you in advance for helping me out!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you only have a single computer and you're only looking for storage (as opposed to some of the other services NAS provides), I'd recommend a RAIDED USB or thunderbolt enclosure. It will be a bit cheaper and the speeds will be much faster.

3. DutchguyJoost thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. I think DAS is not the right choice for me, because I do want to be able to play the music and view photos from anywhere in the house and maybe also away from home, using my MBP, my iPad or the Sonos music system. Given this preference, what would you recommend me?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For a NAS, I'd opt for a Synology. That is probably the most recommend NAS here at MR. I'd also recommend a look at qnap, which is what I have. That line is good as well.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You've got many possibilities all depending on your budget.

TC will provide the best support for Time Capsule, but most other NAS devices have limited support too. You could alternatively use another backup strategy on a generic NAS which would also house your photos/movies.

If you're in the market for a new router, get the Time Capsule for sure.

B

6. DutchguyJoost thread starter macrumors newbie

I do like the router function of the Time Capsule, but I guess I could also buy an Airport Extreme coupled with a Synology NAS.

But combining an automatic backup strategy and manually copied files on the same NAS would pose no problem, you think? Is there an ideal number of disks I should use then?

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

No problem mixing backup and file sharing. I use my WD My Cloud this way.

B