NAS Vs USB Drive on AEBS?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by spiritlevel, Mar 12, 2011.

1. spiritlevel macrumors 6502

Please can someone tell me what the advantages are of a proper NAS (like a ReadyNas Duo) connected to an AEBS as opposed to a simple USB drive?

I want to store my itunes library on this networked drive so it is accessible to a couple of Macs and my ATV1 as well as non-itunes movies that I can stream to my JailBroken ATV1 via XBMC.

Obviously the simple USB drive is much cheaper so I would like to fully understand the advantages of something like the ReadyNas duo to see if the extra cost is worth it for me.

thanks

2. gabicava83 macrumors regular

Higher level of redundancy.

I.e a NAS drive has some kind of RAID (many different types) that can tolerate a drive failure or several depending on your RAID.

USB single unit drive = none :)

Plus many other features......

3. spiritlevel thread starter macrumors 6502

It's those many other features that I would like to know more about please...

I already have a 2 drive enclosure with raid 0, 1 and JBOD - so what would something like the NetGear NAS give me on top of that?

And are there any restrictions on what can be streamed or shared on a standard USB drive compared to a proper NAS like the NetGear?

thanks

4. spiritlevel thread starter macrumors 6502

OK so I've hooked my 2TB raid enclosure up to my AEBS via the usb port and this seems to work well (if a little slow accessing files compared to connecting the disk directly to my laptop)

It seems that the AEBS turns any external disk into a NAS right?

In which case there's probably no point in me spending more bucks on a dedicated NAS

5. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

A proper NAS (that supports gigabit ethernet and other goodies) will be multiple times faster than an AEBS. I find file transfers via AirDisk torturously slow.

6. spiritlevel, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011

spiritlevel thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahh - OK thanks

Well the NAS I have been looking at is the Synology DS211J

So you're saying that if I were to connect that by ethernet to one of my AEBS Gigabit LAN ports, it would be much faster?

(I don't have a separate ethernet switch)

Or...is what you're saying only valid if the entire network is wired? (gigabit ethernet)

What I am after is the fastest way of having a networked disk that can be shared over wifi.

7. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Well, if you access your data via wireless LAN, the dedicated NAS unit won't be any faster than the USB drive.

If you go wired the DS211J will be faster than a USB drive, though.

8. spiritlevel thread starter macrumors 6502

I see. Unfortunately wired isn't really an option as I will be connecting to the disk via either a laptop (which could be anywhere in the house) or an ATV which is in a place that is difficult to run a wire to.

Looks like I'll be sticking with the AEBS/USB disk solution.

Thanks again for your help.