NAS with Thunderbolt or USB 3.0

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by KDR, Jun 26, 2012.

1. KDR macrumors regular

I think I've finally figured out what I need: A NAS that can also output via Thunderbolt or USB connection for the local computer. Does anyone know if this exists?

Alternatively it would be great if the next time capsule was a RAID device with Thunderbolt and Gigabit. Only problem is that it would cost a gazillion.

2. Lance-AR macrumors 6502

Synology has USB3 available. Drobo will have TB in August, I think.

3. KDR thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I could have been more clear in what I was saying. I would like something with gigabit Ethernet to connect to the network that can also connect at the same time to a local MacBook via USB 3.0 or thunderbolt. That way it can still be accessed if the MacBook isn't present.

My understanding is that nothing exists with Ethernet along with either one of the two faster connections.

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Have you considered just bifurcating the data. Use any old drive attached to your router for shared data... and a TB drive (or array) attached to your Mac for performance?

/Jim

5. KDR thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Yes, it looks like this is what I will need to do for the time being. I just hate to sink the $ if a better solution is around the corner.

6. harrisonw1998 macrumors regular

Thunderbolt is the fastest-USB 3.0 is good, but not as fast as thunderbolt.