NAS with thunderbolt?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Nimrad, Sep 11, 2012.

1. zettabyte macrumors regular

zettabyte

At the end of they it doesn't matter. The end results are the same. For those who take a lot of extra measures to ensure redundancy like I do, DAS or not....whatever....Files from point A to point B.

As for iSCSI, I already know that. So what's your point? Can you not achieve the same functionality with a DAS as with a NAS?

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

Mounting a filesystem from a NAS over the network in no way gives you the advantage of fast disk access speeds that are not limited by network bandwidth. The way that you are using you NAS is just using a NAS the way it was designed to be used, as a remote networked filesystem.

Network Attached Storage (NAS) ≠ Direct Attached Storage (DAS)
    Direct Attached Storage (DAS) ≠ Network Attached Storage (NAS)

Yes it does matter and no the results are not the same.

3. zettabyte macrumors regular

zettabyte

You're pointing out the obvious. Of course the speeds are slower with the NAS. And? When did I ever mention that a NAS was as speedy as a DAS? I was just referring to the ability. Not speed.

I don't think you need much speed to move over a file under 10MB here and there.

I'd be baffled if you still disagreed that the basic core function is the same of moving a file from point A to point B. Do they not?