Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mario24601

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
Anyone have recommendation for a good NAS? I want to use to stream to Air, ATV, iPhone, iPad and windows laptop. Most will be while at home connected to wireless N network. Internet sharing not really important but would be nice while on road. I have been reading and sounds like Synology is good. Thinking the DS411 Slim. Anyone use Synology or and other brand/model you really like?

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
I've got a very robust network that I protect with a Synology DiskStation DS1511+. Found it on sale for only $749.00 plus the price of the drives.

After using it for some time now I'm very satisfied. It's quiet and runs in the background quite nicely. The security it offers is priceless.

MiamiC70

Suspended
Oct 16, 2011
I got the DS411slim and am loving it. Fast, quite, compact and software is great. Highly recommend it.

turbato

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2010
I have been using a Thecus 5200 Pro for 4 years without any issues. Best investment I have made. I am streaming to 4 Apple TVs at a time with zero wait times. Others I know that have Synology NAS devices wish they would have gotten Thecus after they see the performance I get.

Buckeyes1995

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2011
I have been using a Thecus 5200 Pro for 4 years without any issues. Best investment I have made. I am streaming to 4 Apple TVs at a time with zero wait times. Others I know that have Synology NAS devices wish they would have gotten Thecus after they see the performance I get.

Ditto. I use the 4200 PRO and love it. Although recently, I cannot use Time Machine (it backs up fine, but I cannot enter the 'star wars' recovery). Not sure it's as NAS issue.. but have it both on my MBA and my MM.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I just picked up a Synology DS212j. Yes, it is a diskless NAS and I had to pay $150 for each HDD (WD Caviar Blue 1 TB), but I heard the HDD prices may be elevated way into 2012. I didn't want to wait that long.

mario24601

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
Thanks, I decided to get the DS411. I already have about 5 drives I can you with it. Will let you know my impressions...thanks again for input.

mario24601

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
Synology ROCKS ... I have two and have never had a problem.
I'm new to NAS, the drives in have are different capacity sizes and were used as independent not raid. Should/could I just keep as is and be ok? Is performance really better with raid? The way I use drives: keep pics, music, movies and backups (I copy manually). I just want to be able to stream to iPhone iPad Air and PC mostly when at home via N wireless. Sometimes may access when on road but not much. Guess not sure of I would benefit from raid or just keep my drives as is for my new DS411. Any input would be great, thanks.

pwfletcher

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
I'm new to NAS, the drives in have are different capacity sizes and were used as independent not raid. Should/could I just keep as is and be ok? Is performance really better with raid? The way I use drives: keep pics, music, movies and backups (I copy manually). I just want to be able to stream to iPhone iPad Air and PC mostly when at home via N wireless. Sometimes may access when on road but not much. Guess not sure of I would benefit from raid or just keep my drives as is for my new DS411. Any input would be great, thanks.

If your drives are different sizes, you can use Synology's hybrid raid system which will give you some protection. After all, protecting your data is really the whole point of having a raid ... besides the speed boost ;-)

mario24601

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
If your drives are different sizes, you can use Synology's hybrid raid system which will give you some protection. After all, protecting your data is really the whole point of having a raid ... besides the speed boost ;-)

If I use the hybrid raid do I need to re-format the drives?

mario24601

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
Anyone know when the DS411 came out, I know was 2011 but what month? How often does Synology update products, do they do it yearly? Wondering if a DS412 will come out soon.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
I've got one from QNAP (TS-659 I believe) and Netgear (ReadyNAS NV+) and both have served me well. One thing to note is that even with RAID, a NAS should be backed up if what you are storing on it is important. A RAID volume can become corrupt and you essentially would lose everything just like a single disk failure. The challenge is that as your NAS becomes bigger, backing up becomes more of a challenge. This is why I have two NAS boxes.

pwfletcher

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
Anyone know when the DS411 came out, I know was 2011 but what month? How often does Synology update products, do they do it yearly? Wondering if a DS412 will come out soon.

I got mine when it first came out last year. I assume Synology will be releasing a new 412 shortly which will incorporate their new ARM Performance Acceleration Technology ... speedy ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.