NASA confirms Windows virus reached outer space

Discussion in 'macOS' started by clu10, Aug 28, 2008.

1. clu10 macrumors regular

clu10

Ah, Microsoft, but let me count the ways. I love thee to the depth and breadth and height my soul can reach. And you can't reach a whole lot higher than the International Space Station (ISS), which NASA this week revealed had a few extra astronauts on board last month - a Windows Virus known as Gammima.AG.

This virus, which affects Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP machines, was first detected on Earth in August last year before heading off on its unexpected journey into space. Gammima AG is widely used to steal log-in data for online games in the Far East, the BBC reports. And the virus was carried to the station on laptops infected by the virus.

Gets better: "Nasa said it was not the first time computer viruses had travelled into space and it was investigating how the machines were infected."

Probably because the machines on the Space Station are running an insecure operating system, known as Windows, we reckon.

Space news website SpaceRef broke the story about the virus on the laptops that astronauts took to the ISS.

Oh - and it's possible that some of us Earth-dwellers could have been infected by a computer virus sent from space: "The laptops infected with the virus were used to run nutritional programs and let the astronauts periodically send e-mail back to Earth," says the BBC. And the laptops used by astronauts don't have anti-virus software installed.

Do you think Nasa should switch to Mac?

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I suggest they hire you to write their important apps for Mac first. When its done, Im sure they will consider.

3. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

One of the space probes uses a modified G3 chip.

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Actually NASA has switched to Mac. They did it a few short years ago. They use it for their 3D rendering. It was mentioned that it takes several weeks to perform these tasks and Windows kept on crashing or freezing or get infected and it would interrupt their task which required them to start over. They invested into Macs and have had zero issues.

It's obvious they haven't fully switched over but for something as important as NASA it's stupid for them to continue with Windows especially after they sold themselves on the stability and security of the Mac OS. Here's one of the articles.
    http://developer.apple.com/business/macmarket/riacsnasa.html

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Most of the NASA employees that I know use Macs. Much of what NASA flies, particularly during manned missions, are developed by contractors rather than by NASA itself. My gut feeling is that this is a contractor issue.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If you look at NASA TV from time to time, you'll see a lot of projects are running on some sort of unix or linux flavor. During one of the mars missions, they left up someone's screen showing display status, and it later switched to a command prompt. You could see them typing in commands. :)

So it isn't a stretch that staffers at NASA are using Macs.

The Windows-based laptop was probably for some experiment from a NASA partner that uses a specialized app. Or it could simply be for reading e-mail or something.

EDIT: Sure enough, I didn't read to the end: the laptop WAS used to send e-mail, among other things.

I wonder what OS the Russians use?