NASA to de-orbit the ISS in 2016

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by quagmire, Jul 15, 2009.

1. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

This gets a big WTF from me. Yeah I get it, the general mass public doesn't give a crap about anything NASA related and think it is all a waste of money, etc. In matter of fact, destroying it after 6 years after completion with many more then 6 years it took to assemble it, it will just prove that the general public( despite how how to put it nicely, ill informed they are) is right that NASA is just a whole waste of money.

Hopefully, it is saved and can last at least 20 years........

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=15680

[​IMG]

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I thought the ISS was going to be a hub for Orion to dock to as we prepare to go deeper into space.

Why bother finish it if it will just be de-orbited in 7 years. Just end the shuttle missions now and don't bother with the ISS.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I wonder if they have a bigger plan/secret to reveal at that time in place of the Space Station? ;)

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The ISS is huge and cost billions to build. What could they replace it with and how would they build it.

5. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

To find out the answer, you'll have to wait until the next Apple Developer Conference. That's where everything gets revealed, isn't it? :p

6. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Perhaps alien technology and whatnot which will make the station obsolete. 2016 could be the year that the biggest secret in mankind's history is revealed.

Otherwise, it would be a waste to de-orbit the station. How would we ever get a permanent presence in space without it? How easily would we be able to get another station in the future? The ISS is supposed to be a stopover point on the way to the Moon and, later, Mars. That would obvioulsy have to change.

7. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

I won't matter. Its game over for us in 2012 anyways

8. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Hence the secret part of it. ;)

9. djellison macrumors 68020

http://www.universetoday.com/2009/07/15/de-orbit-the-iss-in-2016-dont-bet-on-it/

It's not going to happen. This thing is going to be around for a while. '16 was just the marker in the sand from when ISS construction started. Like Spirit and Opportunity and their 90 days ( day 1967 and 1947 today respectively, still going strong)

ISS isn't in a good orbit to be a rendezvous point for going to the moon. You get more performance from a rocket at a lower inclination orbit. ISS's orbit is designed so that everyone can get to it ( Russia and the US ). And, to be honest, even with a two-launch architecture, you don't need much in the way of building stuff to get to the moon. Just dock two spacecraft and off you go.