NASBox on Airport Extreme access...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jfitch, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Jfitch macrumors newbie

I'm looking at setting up a network for my family home and have a few special requirements and so far i think i have sorted most out but looking at a bit of experience on the storage side.

The network will have BT internet going into an Airport Extreme which will provide wifi coverage for Macbook Pro, iPad, 2 iPhones and 2 apple tv's and a Windows based work laptop.

I want to hardwire in a NASBox to the Airport Extreme that will store data.

My worry is accessing it, I need both the Macbook and Windows laptops to be able to read and write to it (probably the same files if office files) and also for the apple tv's to be able to pull music/pics/video from it.

I would also like to be able to back it up/back up to it.

Do you guys with more experience see any issues/problems here? I know first hand that writing to a USB stick on the windows machine means i can't write to it on the Mac without formatting...

Thanks for any help...

Jon

2. Ifti macrumors 68000

Should all work fine, except for the ATV bit.
    You can connect a NAS to the extreme via Ethernet cable - would recommend a Synology as I've used one personally and know it can do what you need, although QNAP is another highly rated NAS.

The NAS formats drives into the ext4 format (Linux based). Because your MAC systems and PC will be accessing over network protocols, rather then locally attached, both platforms will be able to read and write data to the NAS without worry about formats etc. simply map a drive to the shared folders on the NAS with a user account that has both read and write access (you set this up on the NAS in the initial setup) and you are good to go on either platform.

The NAS has various services you can enable, such as DLNA, for example so a HDTV can read data straight from it. It also has an iTunes server built in so you can place your shared library onto the NAS and all platforms will be able to access your iTunes content easy, including your ipad, iPhones, and AppleTV devices. It's as simple as that!
    Synology actually have apps in the App Store where you can access the files on your NAS and work with them easily.

If you want to avoid iTunes server and just want to share videos or photos, for example, there are apps on the App Store which connect to DLNA servers for content streaming. Simply place the multimedia on your NAS and your iDevice will be able to read and stream it down easily.

When it comes to the AppleTV, it usually needs a running instance of iTunes from a computer to stream data unfortunately. At one point I just jail broke the ATV and streamed data down from my NAS perfectly fine ;)

You can go so far as to setting up the NAS so you can access files etc from anywhere in the world!

If you start to run out of space, either upgrade your drives, purchase an expansion unit, or simply attach an external HDD into the back of the NAS via USB!

When it comes to backups, you can backup the NAS itself to expansion units or to an external hard drive that can be connected directly into the back of the NAS.
    The NAS also supports time machine for you to backup your computers straight to it.

The NAS should do everything you describe in your post, with minimal setup. It's really easy these days. Check out my youtube channel (link in sig) - you will see a play list on the right side with a link to my Synology videos, where I've covered a fair bit in regards to setup, connectivity, backing up, etc. Hope you find it useful ;)