Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

treblah

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
Anyone else here really like NASCAR?

To preempt any "No, cuz I'm not a redneck/yokel/hillbilly!"

Let my clarify.
I don't like the drivers/teams and actually really dislike about a third of the tracks, but I love the racing, the competition, the pit stops. I like the fact that most of the cars are basically even and winning really comes down to talent/teamwork (and a little bit of luck).

*crickets* :confused: ;)

treblah

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
Hector said:
is that driveing around in a circle for like half a day?

Something like that, but traveling at ~190MPH a few inches away from 40 other cars.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
boring-artwork_webprev.gif

Gun totting, nascar driving Jesus, is that you?

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
rickvanr said:
boring-artwork_webprev.gif

Gun totting, nascar driving Jesus, is that you?

Igloo-living, hockey playing Eskimo, is that you?

Please stop with the stereotypes.
NASCAR is the 2nd most popular sport in the US...so not everyone falls into your stereotype.

Just because you find it boring doesn't mean it is.

(And, PS, Canadians have similar gun ownership rates to Americans).

iSaint

macrumors 603
Yeah I've been a fan for over 20 years. I got to see them go 210 at Talladega before they put restrictor plates. I've been to over 20 races, seen Earnhardt Sr win several times. I haven't been following too closely as of late. I'm sure I'll take my kids when they get older. It's definitely a spectacle. Even if you're not a fan, it's a good experience. I've taken at least a dozen different friends and family members over the years. Only one didn't return, though he enjoyed the trip and the experience.

Not many NASCAR fans on MR though. Definitely a stereotyped sport.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Just think of all the gas we could be saving.:rolleyes: I'll watch it if there is nothing else on, but isn't Formula 1 faster then NASCAR?

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
MacNut said:
Just think of all the gas we could be saving.:rolleyes: I'll watch it if there is nothing else on, but isn't Formula 1 faster then NASCAR?
Formula 1 is faster than EVERYTHING. Well, okay, maybe not on a superspeedway, or on a drag strip, but around a circuit, nothing comes close. Nothing like a lateral 4G (peak, not sustained)

treblah

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
rickvanr, I am the nuttiest anti-Bush atheist liberal I know so I guess I'm not allowed to like NASCAR? :rolleyes:

Again, I like racing. Car, Horse, Human, Dog, Robot, it doesn't matter. And as far as I am concerned, NASCAR is hands down the most interesting, entertaining racing around (British Touring Car is a close second but SpeedChannel doesn't show it as much as they used to).

iSaint said:
Not many NASCAR fans on MR though. Definitely a stereotyped sport.

Yeah, I was hoping maybe some closet fans might turn up but I guess there aren't as many as I expected.

MacNut said:
I'll watch it if there is nothing else on, but isn't Formula 1 faster then NASCAR?

I knew it was only a matter of time before someone mentioned F1. Just so I can tick off the F1 lovers let me let you in on a secret…

F1 'racing' sucks more than a black hole. After the first lap the field is so spread out that there is no reason to watch anymore. Yes, hurrah, they turn right. I think most F1 fans like the cars or drivers or technology but no one in their right mind would call F1 racing interesting to watch. Flame on F1 Fanboys. ;-)

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Some could say that NASCAR is boring as all they do is drive in circles and not much thought needed to watch that. Its a lazy mans sport.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I'd call myself a fan. I haven't watched much lately but I'll catch it when I have time.

I've been to a few qualifying races, those are a lot of fun.

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
see, this is what is driving our gas prices up, people driving when they don't need too :p :D

bursty

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2004
NASCAR is a 3 hour long commercial with fast billboards making 2000 left turns.

F1 on the other hand is actual racing :rolleyes:

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
Well I for one am a huge Nascar fan. I love racing...the speed, the smell, the excitement. Sadly it has become a huge marketing mess but I still love it. And I, for one, am not a redneck. And for all you asshats™ who think who think racing is a "lazy mans sport" you really need to get in a car and drive 190 mph with cars literally scraping against you. Do it inside a car that reaches an internal temperature of 130 degrees. Do this for 4-6 hours. You need severe physical stamina. It takes a person in better shape than, say, a person who sits on their ass and makes snotty comments on forums concerning tropics they know nothing about.
Anyone who wants to chat about Nascar, preferably the Nextel Cup series, I'm game.

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
I like it. There are a lot of things that it has going for it that you don't see much in other forms of racing. Duct tape for one. There is a lot of adaptability in the race.

One thing bothers me is that it has gotten away from its rum running roots. A saw a race on TV a few years ago where someone who was a total novice who ran without sponsors. Its really a peoples sport.

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
i don't watch it, aside from the highlights on sportscenter... i agree, the pit changes are nuts. and didn't someone lost a race last weak because they ran out of gas?

i'm sure not lame enough to waste my time crapping on someone elses thread. some of you need to find better things to do with your time.

jonv

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2005
uk
NASCAR fan here from the UK. Just about to start watching the Talledaga race.
Was a huge F1 fan but got that out of my system when the CART series came to the UK in 2001/ 2002. Got me heavily into American motorsports.

treblah

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
jonv said:
NASCAR fan here from the UK. Just about to start watching the Talledaga race.
Was a huge F1 fan but got that out of my system when the CART series came to the UK in 2001/ 2002. Got me heavily into American motorsports.

Wow, I never expected an international fan. So NASCAR is televised live in the UK?

I am also waiting for the Talladega race to start, they need to hurry, its about to rain. :)

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
treblah said:
Anyone else here really like NASCAR?

To preempt any "No, cuz I'm not a redneck/yokel/hillbilly!"

Let my clarify.
I don't like the drivers/teams and actually really dislike about a third of the tracks, but I love the racing, the competition, the pit stops. I like the fact that most of the cars are basically even and winning really comes down to talent/teamwork (and a little bit of luck).

*crickets* :confused: ;)
There are many of us here:) I feel as you about a 3rd of the tracks are just boring, but there are many good tracks and very good racing. So yes I like Nascar but on a side note those thinner bumpers are going to do little in the bump drafting dept. They will still be doing the bump drafting. Its now raining:(

jonv

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2005
uk
treblah said:
Wow, I never expected an international fan. So NASCAR is televised live in the UK?

I am also waiting for the Talladega race to start, they need to hurry, its about to rain. :)

We have NASN (North American Sports Network) in the UK. Costs about £12 per month (not sure how much that is in funny dollar things).

Looking forward to the day when we have a UK driver in the field!

The rain has arrived at Talledega :(

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
I would love Nascar if it was 10 laps, but i dont enjoy watching cars going round and round 500 times doing the same thing.

treblah

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
iSaint said:
It's back on FOX today. 175,000 people called in sick to work today!

I was about to call in sick but then I realized that I didn't have to work today. ;)

I would like to submit that Talladega is the greatest motorsports facility ever built. There is nothing better than 4-wide at 190! :D

Rooting for Kenseth, M. Waltrip and Junior (for nothing else other than the Dale Sr. color scheme).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.