Nashville Vintage Macs

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by walsh1996, Oct 14, 2014.

1. walsh1996 macrumors newbie

Hello! I am looking for older Macs in the Nashville area, working or nonworking. Let me know what you have. I look forward to hearing from you. :)

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Check your local Goodwills, thrift shops, computer recyclers, FreeCycle, and Craigslist.

3. walsh1996 thread starter macrumors newbie

I will search around thrift shops. Funnily enough, Goodwills here in Tennessee don't sell computers (almost like it wasn't meant to be! Ha ha!) I always hear about people finding iMacs at yard sales, G4s in their friend's attic, etc. I do think there's a regional component, and the southeast is probably the worst for stuff like this.

4. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Off the top of my head, Nashville has one big university and a handful of smaller universities/colleges. The ground is ripe for picking at these places. If you don't have an "in", watch for public surplus sales, which are generally open to the public. You might have to buy a pallet of PCs to get to get one or two Macs, but the prices are generally low enough that this isn't a huge issue(plus old, worthless PCs are a great source of RAM, hard drives, and optical drives, all of which are generally Mac compatible).

I'm not that far to the north of you, and there's generally no shortage of PowerPC Macs at least on the Lexington and Louisville Craigslist pages.

5. 128keaton, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014

128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Hey walsh, I live in memphis, and you are right about the regional issues! Nashville's education system (colleges) just got overhauled by dell (my father coordinated the project :p) so check the colleges. Last time I checked a govt. auction site, there was a bunch of old Macs for sale in Nashville. Have at it, you lucky duck!
    Also, craigslist has been a fairly good resource for me, but free cycle has nothing but junk on it sadly.

6. walsh1996 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the replies!

Keaton... what gov't auction site have you checked? I am only familiar with govdeals.com.

In my experience, older Macs on Craigslist lack of professional appraisal, therefor are largely overpriced. Also lots of deceptive "blazing fast G3!!" marketing.

7. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Yeah govdeals had some a while back.
    Craiglist is full of people like that, but I got an iMac g3 for $30 and a Performa 550 for $30.